Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
poneill
Binge Watcher

Audio delay | NCAA March Madness

Jump to solution

When watching live things I have an audio delay (specifically on the march madness app) it’s not synced up. Incredibly annoying I tried changing volume mode to off but that didn’t work. Looked on google other people have had this problem that’s the only solution they had 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
poneill
Binge Watcher

Re: Audio delay | NCAA March Madness

Jump to solution

Found the solution that solved both my original problem and the problem of the stream being worse when you switch to 720zbyou don’t have to switch it to 720. You just have to switch display mode from auto detect. I switched it to 1080 and it’s been working fine

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Does restarting the Roku help?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
poneill
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

H

0 Kudos
poneill
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Tried clearing the cache. Tried resetting factory settings. Changed audio mode to stereo turned volume mode off. Tried a different wifi. Only happens with one app that I can tell so far (ncaa March madness) but that app works fine everywhere else so clearly a roku problem. Doesn’t happen with live tv or other streaming apps like Netflix. If you google it it seems like a common issue on roku that only some are able to fix. 

0 Kudos
poneill
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Also tried restarting it and unplugging it.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@poneill wrote:

...If you google it it seems like a common issue on roku that only some are able to fix. 

I've been a Roku user since 2010. There have been times some app had audio sync issues. But it's the app with the issue. Well, actually it's the stream the app is using.

You see, some major services have different servers for different platforms. For example, if you have a Fire TV and a Roku, and each is watching Netflix, they won't connect to the same servers. Netflix has different servers for multiple platforms. And, they have servers in different locations. Suppose someone in Washington state and I were both watching Netflix on our Roku devices. I'm in the southeast. I'll get my stream from a different bunch of servers that someone in the northwest.

What all that means is that different services have different servers. If it was Roku, it would happen on a lot more. This is a rare event. It doesn't seem rare to you because it's happening to you. Had I watched the games, it may have happened to me. But most people don't have it, or there would be a lot of reports here on this user forum. There aren't. Of course, it could be the app (made by NCAA Digital), but then everybody using the app would have the problem. It's probably the stream.

So, if it's the stream, then let's look at why that might be. Well, you're probably watching the stream when others are. And it's entirely possible that NCAA Digital, the app developers, isn't doing anything wrong. It could be that truTV network, who broadcast the First Four, wasn't properly equipped to handle the stream. All yesterday's games were handled by truTV.

Today's games are being carried by truTV, TNT, TBS, and CBS. Each network has four games. So, when you watch the games today, notice if all games are that way, or only certain ones.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
poneill
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Will do. But if you google it there are people who have posted about the same problem with this exact app on roku, and there are many people who have posted about audio delays in general. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@poneill 

Please understand that I'm not in anyway downplaying the issue. But with the number of Roku devices out there, and how popular NCAA basketball tournament is, if this was a large (percentagewise) issue, the board would be flooded.

Suppose 10,000 people were impacted. That's a lot. But some years back, Roku passed the 10,000,000 mark of users, and has many more. If 10-thousand are impacted out of 10-million, that's .01% of users. That's a small percentage. This isn't a widespread issue. That's not to downplay, it's to put perspective on how difficult it will be to replicate the issue if it's an app or Roku issue.

You said it's only happening on live streams. That points greatly to the network, truTV being unable to handle the load properly. Not to the point of crashing, but being adversely impacted. See how many of the networks are impacted today.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
dorham

Re: NCAA March Madness App audio lag

Jump to solution

I am having this issue today.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: NCAA March Madness App audio lag

Jump to solution

Hi @dorham,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on NCAA March Madness or all channels on your Roku device?
3. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos