Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bogey62
Binge Watcher

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

Yes, you're doomed to this.

They screwed up the last software update and it's made older TVs unable to pair up with the oppressive copyright protection scheme.

I replaced my 10 year old Vizio TV in the bedroom with a new Samsung TV and everything magically works again. Same Roku box, same HDMI cable too.

Whitefalcon
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. They screwed up the last update? Yes Am I/We doomed? I don't think so. They can issue the update prior to the screwed up one potentially. I emailed them with the thought. I also told them I have the new Firestick in Cart on Amazon and ready to Buy if they don't fix this soon.

As for your tech issue, why is it then that when you turn off the tv, unplug the devices (including hdmi) then turn it all on again and it works fine (at least two episodes) last night. If it's a pairing issue, it shouldn't work at all? 

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

First, it affects more models than just the Express 4k+, I have a Streaming Stick+ (3810). Started out when I had OS 10.0.0. I now have 10.5, last updated a few days ago... and all along, it keep showing the exact same issue. I THINK that back in the OS 9.2 days, it never had such issues. AND I have done their turn-off, un-plug schtick MANY times already, it never fixes the issue. Clearly seems issues in their OS that apparently they can not seem to fix.. note this thread started back in June.

Yes I did a whole sequence with Roku Support, including providing them with some secret hidden code that was no accessible in the normal UI. Last I head they were referring it to their engineering department.

I'd say my stick is a paperweight now, but it's way too light to hold paper down, even to the slightest breeze.

0 Kudos
Bogey62
Binge Watcher

Well, why don't you offer a better explanation as to why you have to unplug everything every time you want to watch anything if it's not a pairing issue?

No matter what the issue is, bottom line, they screwed up and should rollback the update that caused the issue until they can fix it.

0 Kudos
RiversideGuy
Streaming Star

NEVER has the "unplug" routine restored being able to watch anything.

0 Kudos
lk88

I have been getting HDCP error.  I received an email from Amazon saying this player would not be supported. When I contacted them they said it was not sent by Amazon. However, now I am unable to use the ROKU player. Do I have to upgrade ROKU?  I just bought it in May!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@lk88 what is the model number of your Roku (not its name). While you may have just purchased it, it might be an older player that Amazon is dropping support. And they have emailed Roku users with older devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
coco886
Reel Rookie

I have model 4800x, id so2a214l1wfd, serial number x01000nl1wfd  I have changed the cable, unplugged everything and replugged it works but if I  turn off the tv for any length of time it comes up with the same hdcp error 020.  very frustrating  much be from the upgrade

Carnie
Reel Rookie

When my Roku Express 4K times out it goes blank instead of going to the screen saver. If I select another HDMI the switch it back to the correct HDMI the home screen comes back on. 

0 Kudos
dans1198

Model Roku_3930X

Error Code 020

Software version: 10.5.0.4201_5.1.9802947

ESN RKU-393XX-X004000YVW3K

Get error every time turn on tv and Roku boots up. I have to unplug power to Roku device and reboot several times before problem goes away.

Started after I replaced old Roku device.

0 Kudos