Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJ25
Reel Rookie

Re: Are you seeing HDCP errors on Roku Express 4K+ device?

I purchased a unit directly from Roku about 20 days ago.  It worked fine for about 10 days and I started having HDCP errors.  I found that I could fix it by simply unplugging it and plugging it back into the same HDMI connector on the TV.  Problem would come back the next day, however.  Since I was nearing my 30 day return policy, I have sent the unit back for a refund.

I bought the Express 4K+ because I had purchased a different Roku about 3 months ago from Best Buy.  That was a model 3820X and it worked for about 45 days, just past the warranty.  I tried to follow the reset procedure which worked for a day or two.  After fighting the problem for about 1 week I took it out and bought the Roku Express 4K+.  Since the 3820X worked for about 45 days I guess you people can say I got my money's worth.  I say you have a recall problem!!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku has a one year warranty in the US, so that device is still covered. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
willy2022
Channel Surfer

I have four ROKU devices stick/ultra/express connected to less than two year old TVs. I had HDCP error messages on all devices. Frequency varied but messages occurred multiple times per day. I called ROKU support and followed their resolution process multiple times.  Hard restart, unplug cables, check display options, change HDMI cables, change ports on TVs, change TVs. None of this worked. ROKU is hiding the real source - their software. Never resolved any issues. ROKU refuses to acknowledge that they are the root cause for HDCP error messages. They continue to blame TV's and HDMI cables. Endless loop talking to ROKU support so I gave up and bought four HDMI splitters on Amazon for my four TVs. Since installing the HDMI splitters ($14) I have not seen a single HDCP error message. To further test this I removed a splitter connected to an ULTRA and almost immediately got HDCP errors. Before installing ROKU devices I have never seen any HDCP error messages on any devices. ROKU needs to acknowledge that this is their software revision that created the HDCP problem.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that we are currently investigate this issue. We currently do not have any information to provide at this time, but once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Beckyboop10
Reel Rookie

3941X Roku Express 4K+, SO7P214Y3J, 11.0 build 4193-CR. 

I get the HDCP error every time I start to watch as streaming show. The error doesn’t appear until after the commercials play. When I unplug the HDMI cables and the Roku and plug everything back in, the error goes away, but then it comes back the next time I watch tv. 

0 Kudos
miadlor
Streaming Star

You don't have to pull the HDMI wire.

You're just looking to break the HDMI connection. 

Options:

Restart the Roku through the menu 

Or 

Power off then on TV. 

Or 

Switching the Roku video output settings to another resolution and back, will also work.

Sparky2022
Reel Rookie

Hi 

Having the errors as discussed on this thread. Info as requested on our Express 4K+:

Roku Express 4K+

Serial #X01600N52GG5

Router: Apple Airport Extreme, PHY Mode: 802.11a/n

TV is a older Samsung, model LN52B630N1F , HDMI 2.0

Express 4K worked fine for  many weeks ( linked 2/28 )  until about 2 weeks ago. Our internet provider is Infinty.

Our other units, a Ultra and stick 4K, are for the most part ok.

Thanks!

Dave

0 Kudos
smcg56
Reel Rookie

To Danny@Roku

I agree with Willie2022; this feels like a Roku firmware issue that started with a 5/3/22 pushed firmware update to 11.0.0.  All those TV's, HDMI cables and Roku devices were working just fine until then.

Please update all of us asap before we have to buy HDMI splitters like Willie suggests or replace our Roku devices.  It isn't reasonable to have to power cycle my Roku device every time I want to watch Hulu.

loisdeboid
Channel Surfer

This issue has been going on for much longer than that. I’ve been following this for at least a year and ROKU DOES NOT CARE. 

Sparky2022
Reel Rookie

I own 3 Roku devices,  Ultra, Stick+, and Express+. Ultra is the most reliable, but all 3 suffer from the HDCP error and a no signal error on both  stick and express. I like may things about Roku, but will not purchase any other of their steaming devices until they respond and fix this problem.

0 Kudos