Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dadnerd
Reel Rookie

Apps will not load in evening hours

After working normally for more tan a year my Roku Express now works only during morning hours.  In evenings, most or all apps will not load at all. Even Roku app, if it loads at all, will not play in the evenings (constant blacking out, and attempting to load).  I have a relatively high-speed Orbitel cable connection and a Netgear router which always connect normally to my I-pad and Android phone.

4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Apps will not load in evening hours

@Dadnerd wrote:

... Roku Express 

... my I-pad and Android phone.

Roku Express models connect via 2.4 GHz band only. iPhones, iPads, and Android devices are dual band, and can connect on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

That points to it being something interfering with your 2.4 GHz network.

Be aware that nearby networks, if operating on the same channel (usually 1, 6, or 11), can cause interference. If during certain times of the day, a nearby network had a lot of traffic, that could interfere with yours. You could try changing the channel to one of the other channels (1, 6, 11) and see if that helps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Dadnerd
Reel Rookie

I changed the wireless channel from 2 to 6.  Still does not work in the evening (9 pm).

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Dadnerd 

As @DBDukes indicated, you may need to experiment with different channel numbers.  Channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap and provide the widest frequencies.  Since you tried 6 (the most common), try 1 and 11 next.  In the same wireless settings, try lowering the Bandwidth/Channel Width to 20mhz also which should help mitigate some interference.

If the above do not work or produce better results, then you may find that you have to use one of the other adjacent channels available (ie, maybe 4, 7, 9, etc).  You can technically use any channel between 1 and 11, but, again, the preferred channels to start with are 1, 6, and 11.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

makaiguy

@Dadnerd-

Also check you own home internet usage at your problem times.  Are other devices doing heavy downloading (streaming videos, downloading large files, etc.)

Another possibility is that the connection from your internet provider is overloading and can't keep up with the demand at peak use times. 

When you experience this problem try temporarily shutting down all internet activity from your home and doing an internet speed check on your computer using a service like Ookla.  Compare these results to what you get doing the same thing when things are streaming okay.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X