Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattjg

Apps closing when I switch input

I’ll often switch between sporting events on my Roku and on cable. Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed that when I switch to cable the Roku app closes and I have to re-open it to start watching on Roku again. This applies to at least ESPN, MLB and NBCSN. How do I prevent this from happening?

8 REPLIES 8
QuestionsaboutR
Reel Rookie

Re: Apps closing when I switch input

Same here. Would love to know a fix. Thanks

0 Kudos
soku
Reel Rookie

Same here, too. Only thing I've changed is from a Roku stick to Roku Premier. Same TV and TV remote. Guess I'll ask Roku and if I get an answer will post.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@soku

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing and the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
soku
Reel Rookie

Thanks for reaching out Danny.

I recently switched out my Roku stick for a Roku Premier. It is plugged into the same HDMI port, on the same TV with the same TV remote. Ever since I switched from stick to Premier, whatever I'm streaming closes and goes to the Home page when I switch between HDMI and TV source. I never had any problem like that before and the only thing that has changed is the kind of Roku device.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Thanks for the reply, @soku

Can you please provide us the following information:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Skynx72

For me this happens if I have ARC enabled.  If it is disabled it won't close the app.  I found this out when I got the Streambar, coming from the Roku Ultra, as I didn't need ARC on the Ultra but do on the Streambar. 

It's pretty annoying and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it but ARC is helpful for all inputs to play through the soundbar, which is worth it.

0 Kudos
Philt56
Streaming Star

No ARC, but if I switch input on my receiver from my Roku ultra to my TiVo and if I switch back, then the live stream is stopped. Friday night baseball on Apple TV. The Roku still has Apple TV open, but the live stream is exited so I have to reselect it. I guess Roku thinks it’s lost communication with the receiver? Why is that? Does it need to sense communication all the way to the tv?

0 Kudos
TP94041
Channel Surfer

I had the exact same problem with my Roku Express 4k on my Sony Bravo 4k TV.  I couldn't find a solution so, I just returned the Roku Express and went back to my Roku 3 (No problem with it).  If I want to watch a movie in 4k, I just stream it directly to my smart TV.  Hopefully, Roku will figure this out some day.

0 Kudos