Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew1020

3910RW Roku Express+ Overheating

I have an older model Roku Express+ that I have set up in my home office and that I take when I travel 7-8 times a year. I do not actually use it that often although it does stay plugged in most of the time. It is set up in the open and has plenty of ventilation. I use the plug that came with the Roku. Over the last couple of months it has begun to get extremely hot whenever it is being used to stream a show or movie. The device itself will get extrememly hot and an overheating/tempcheck message will appear on the screen or the device itself will just continusly buffer. I will unplug the device and let it cool down but as soon as I start using it again the same thing will happen. This seems to be a common issue with this model from what I have read. I pluged in my Roku this morning and it has been powered on for an hour and a half not being used and the Temprature menu shows the temp going between 95-102 degrees. Are there any other remedies or avenues to pursue or is my device complely shot?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 3910RW Roku Express+ Overheating

Hi @Andrew1020,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you with your problem with your Roku Express+ overheating. We suggest that you do not place your Roku Express+ inside a cabinet or other enclosed space, especially with other electronic equipment, for it may overheat. There are two ways to indicate that your Roku player is too hot. Some Roku players have a white light on the front of the unit, and you may see this light turn solid red (not flashing) if it gets too hot. Please try these steps to see what you can do with your Overheating Roku Express+:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    1. Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    2. On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers,
    3. In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the above message or the Roku player shows a Solid red light, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, we suggest that you stop using your Roku player or get it checked if it is still under warranty.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
pgc1

Mine is doing the same thing. It is not in a cabinet. Should I replace it? 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pgc1,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for reaching out in regards to this issue. We'd like to know more about this and see how we can get you up and running.

Could you tell us when you started seeing the issue occur? How are you powering your device? Is it connected directly to a TV's USB port or through a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to provide you with the appropriate next steps.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ellejaye

Let me start by saying I have bought 5 ROKU PLAYERS.

This is the first one I have had this problem with. The E press+ 3910RW gives me the overheating message on the screen. I see I am not the only one having this problem. It is directly plugged into an electric socket. Serial #YGOOD2056220 bought directly from ROKU.  So what now. Its not in a cabinet and in the open air.  So now what?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ellejaye,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for flagging this issue!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this problem that you had on Roku Express+ since it was overheating. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps that @RokuEuniceL provided above?

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                      John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos