Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donb
Roku Guru

3820X Sporadically Freezes

I have a four-month old 3820x that used to work problem free.  I bought it with OS 11.5.  Lately, it will freeze (crash) and then restart.  What exactly happens is, playback starts normal, a few seconds later, video freezes but audio continues.  A few seconds later, video still frozen and then no audio.

In approximately one minute, the device decides to reboot.

Issue has occurred while using Roku Media Player, Prime Video, NetFlix and YouTube.

Model 3820R2 - Streaming Stick 4K
Serial number X02500T98UX8
Software version 12.0.0 • build 4184-E6
Device ID SOJ732C98UX8

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: 3820X Sporadically Freezes

Hello @donb 

Thanks for your post. 

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? Have you tried restarting your router and the Roku device?

To restart your router properly, you may need to review instructions from your internet service provider (ISP) or router manufacturer. In some cases, you can simply unplug your router and plug it back in. And we would recommend doing the Roku device restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > System restart.

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

I've long since done all of the easy solutions.  3820x won't allow itself to be powered by the TV USB, lest you get the low power warning.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@donb 

Thanks for following up. 

We can see that you have already tried all possible troubleshooting steps but the issue still occur. Our last resort is to perform a factory reset on the device, to clarify, have you tried resetting on your Roku device? Please be advised that when resetting the device it clears the majority of data from your Roku device and restores it to a factory default configuration.

If you haven't tried this yet, kindly do this and keep us posted on how it goes after. For detailed instructions, visit our Support page: How to factory reset your Roku streaming device

We'll be waiting for your update. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

Factory Reset is what I consider easy stuff.  I have owned many Rokus for many years.

I've performed...

1. Network reset
  2. Factory reset
  3. Deleting and re-adding channels
  4. Power cycling
  5. Reboot tri-band router

I have a 3810x that works fine but for some reason it is still at OS 11.5.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@donb

Thanks for the reply. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

"Hands-free voice is off" occasionally displays for who knows what reason.  It just started doing that lately as well.

0 Kudos