Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barticus
Channel Surfer

3820R Playback problems happen intermittently on multiple apps

I have two Roku Sticks and a Sharp Roku TV.

The TV is a Sharp LC-24LB601U and has Roku version 12.5.5 Build 4174-69.

One stick is a 3800X, with version 12.5.5 Build 4174-55.

The other stick is a 3820R, with version 12.5.5 Build 4174-E6.

The TV and the 3800X work fine.  The 3820R often, but not always, will not complete the login process on the Max app.  On the Hulu app, it will play live TV fine, will play recordings of live TV fine, but will often not play anything from the streaming library - just gives me the spinning circle of death.  If I put the 3800X on that TV, everything works fine.

I've already done all the standard reboots, re-installs, etc. 

It seems pretty obvious to me that if build 4174-69 and build 4174-55 work fine, but build 4174-E6 has problems, then the problem is either in the build or the device. 

Also, the 3820R (build E6) has another behavior that makes me suspicious.  On both the other devices, when Roku starts up, I get what I call the Roku "dance", where the characters dance around while the device completes booting.  The 3820R doesn't do this.  The "Roku" logo appears for a couple of seconds, then it goes directly to the home screen.  However, it takes three or four times longer to connect than the 3800X from the same location on the same network, and then after it connects, I have to press the cursor control anywhere from three to 10 times before anything moves.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 3820R Playback problems happen intermittently on multiple apps

Hi @Barticus,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'll be glad to assist you even more with this concern that you have with the channels or apps since they are having playback problems. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?
  • How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

In the meantime, you may check out this support article here on how to resolve a channel playback issue.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Barticus
Channel Surfer

There have been no recent changes to my network or provider.

The device is about 15ft from the router.  The 3800X works fine from this location.

I have cellular data, but the reception in the house is poor.  It sometimes won't even hold a all, and often reverts to wifi calling.

Since your outage was fixed yesterday, it appears to be working.

Question:  During the outage, the 3820R and 3800X weren't working, but the Roku TV did.  Do you operate different servers for each device type?  Does the last two digits of the build number indicate the server it connects to?

0 Kudos
Barticus
Channel Surfer

Update:  After the outage, it worked for several days.  Now it's back to doing what it did before.

0 Kudos