Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtgorospe90
Reel Rookie

Roku Smart Home Skill for Alexa will not account link

Jump to solution

Hi all - I got a new router and reconnected my bulbs to the network through the Roku Smart Home App. Unfortunately I was troubleshooting connections with Alexa and disabled the skill. Now I am having trouble getting the Roku Smart Home Skill in Alexa to account link. I click sign into my Roku account in the Roku Smart Home Skill and it just get's stuck on activating the skill. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jtgorospe90
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Smart Home Skill for Alexa will not account link

Jump to solution

After some time I found my own solution. It required me to Amazon.com (on a desktop web browser) to enable the skill. See the instructions (and images) below:

1. Go to Amazon.com (sign in)
  2. Search "Roku Smart Home Skill"
  3. Pick the Roku Smart Home Skill (should say $0.00) and enable the skill
  4. Continue with the Roku sign in process and enable the skill.
  5. Congrats. You have linked Roku Smart Devices to Alexa.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 22-57-12 Amazon.com roku smart home skill.pngScreenshot 2024-05-01 at 23-01-17 Roku Smart Home.png

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
KY2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My son got an Alexa Echo Dot today.  He is having the same issues.  After you try to activate the skill in the Alexa app, log into to Roku when prompted, click agree and continue, and click to go back to the Alexa app it just sits there with the purple wheel spinning and never activates the skill or goes back to the app.  I called Alexa support.  They said everything seemed good on their end.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with Roku support and they finally said they were going to open a ticket with their engineering support.  I hope this gets more attention than the other items we have had that got the same response.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings from the Roku Community, @jtgorospe90 @KY2.

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention and we'd like to find you the best resolution so you can utilize the Alexa skill on the Roku Smart Home app again.

Let's try to reset up your camera by removing the affected camera you're trying to link your Alexa from and re-add those camera again. After doing so, try to link/set up the Alexa skill again to see if this will make any difference. 

If the issue persists after doing so, kindly provide us with the following details below as we'd like to coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team for further investigation:

• Roku Smart Home device model and Mac Address. (Smart Home mobile app, > SettingsDevice info)
  • Log ID (from the Roku Smart Home app, select Account Roku Support > Submit a log)

In the meantime, you can try to visit our Support article dedicated to this: How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku Smart Home devices

Best regards,

Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KY2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@jtgorospe90  I don't know if this will help your situation but I wanted to share with you.  I was trying to bring the Roku skill into Alexa using and iPhone when I was having the similar issue to you.  I switched over to an android tablet that I have at home and the skill immediately activated and works.  If you were using an Apple product and have an android device to try you may want to give it a shot.  I hope it works for you.

Jessejamez

Jump to solution

I tried the android tablet deal it worked but not all my cameras are working thru Alexa 

0 Kudos
KY2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Jessejamez Not all my cameras would work in Alexa either.  They showed up on my device list but I couldn't pull up a live feed.  It said something at the top of the screen about Alexa doesn't support a live feed.  That was on my android and apple device.  I have noticed several devices that you lose some features with Alexa.  Not just Roku devices but Thirdreality, Eve, Sonof, all the brands.  I assume that is one of the trade offs. Unfortunately that means keeping the native app as well.

0 Kudos
RokuJessica-G
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings and a warm welcome as you join the Roku Community, @Jessejamez @KY2.

We appreciate you informing us about this issue in utilizing your Alexa Skill on the Roku Smart Homa App. We would be happy to see what we can do to help you.

To control your smart home device with Alexa, you need to link your Roku account to your Amazon account using this article: How to set up Alexa.

If other cameras are still not working with Alexa, let's try removing those cameras from the smart home app and reinstalling them. Once completed, please try linking the Alexa skill again to see if the results differ.

If the issue persists, kindly help us with the following details below, as we'd like to coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team for further investigation:

• Roku Smart Home device model and Mac Address. (Smart Home mobile app, > SettingsDevice info)
  • Log ID (from the Roku Smart Home app, select Account Roku Support > Submit a log)

We look forward to hearing from you and looking closely into this issue. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jessica G.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
idPrescott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m having the exact same problem - no matter how many times I try, I cannot get the Alexa skill to activate and authenticate. I’m also on an iPhone. I’ve removed all the cameras and tried again, all to no avail. I’ve even removed the app (both Alexa and Roku) and the prompt of support - neither one resolved the issue. This is frustrating!  Why can’t anything work the way it’s supposed to work??

RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @idPrescott,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. We'd like to investigate and try to help.

We understand that you are having trouble adding an Alexa skill to your Roku Smarthome device.

• Have you attempted to follow the troubleshooting steps recommended by @RokuJessica-G? We would like to know what is not working.
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes?

For help setting up an Amazon-branded Alexa device or downloading the Alexa mobile app, visit Amazon's device and digital content support.

For more detailed information about the Alexa skill feature, visit our support page here: How to use Amazon Alexa to control your Roku Smart Home devices
Please keep us updated on your progress, and we will continue to assist you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
idPrescott
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Do any of you Roku Mods actually read the subject or heading of the thread that we're posting in before you issue a canned response?  Here's the problem: I click sign into my Roku account in the Roku Smart Home Skill and it just get's stuck on activating the skill.  It will not authenticate, it will not do anything except spin, endlessly, never activating the skill with Alexa and making it usable.  So far, nothing has worked to resolve this.