Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Temple
Channel Surfer

Failed to update device list (error code %s)

Jump to solution

When I start ROKU SmartHome i get this error;  Failed to update device list (error code %s)

This is quite frustrating as I have outdoor cameras, door bell camera, several outlets, and several internal cameras. I do not want to have to set them all up again. 

Strangely I CAN use the Roku Cameras app on my ROKU and it works fine. I just am unable to turn the plugs on or off from this app. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Failed to update device list (error code %s)

Jump to solution

@Temple, if it's any consolation, I couldn't sign in either.  I signed out and signed in with no problem.  Then I made the mistake of updating the app and I couldn't sign in anymore - I just kept getting the email/password error message.  I tried multiple old versions of the app and still couldn't sign in.

I finally got it to work:

The camera I connect to is actually linked to my mother's Roku account.  I have the Roku mobile app on my phone signed into my account.  On the mobile app, I signed out of my account and into my mother's account.  When I did that, the Smart Home app finally let me sign into my mother's account without the need to enter the password.  If I sign out of the mobile app and sign out of the smart home app, I can't sign into the smart home app again.

If any of that sounds like it applies, give it a try.  If you don't have the mobile app, maybe try installing it and signing in on it and then try signing in on the smart home app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
renojim

Jump to solution

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app?  Hopefully you'll be able to log in since that seems to be a problem for some.

0 Kudos
Temple
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, so now I cannot even log in. This is great! 

0 Kudos
Saphryn135
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having this issue now.  I wonder if it's a problem with Roku servers.  Kinda like how Facebook and several others went down a couple days ago...

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Temple, if it's any consolation, I couldn't sign in either.  I signed out and signed in with no problem.  Then I made the mistake of updating the app and I couldn't sign in anymore - I just kept getting the email/password error message.  I tried multiple old versions of the app and still couldn't sign in.

I finally got it to work:

The camera I connect to is actually linked to my mother's Roku account.  I have the Roku mobile app on my phone signed into my account.  On the mobile app, I signed out of my account and into my mother's account.  When I did that, the Smart Home app finally let me sign into my mother's account without the need to enter the password.  If I sign out of the mobile app and sign out of the smart home app, I can't sign into the smart home app again.

If any of that sounds like it applies, give it a try.  If you don't have the mobile app, maybe try installing it and signing in on it and then try signing in on the smart home app.

mommoooray

Jump to solution

I still after 3 days cannot get anything from app it's useless I'm paying to monitor 2 camers that I can see on phone can't delete app get it fixed 

0 Kudos
Saphryn135
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just saw on the ROKU page that as of Friday they were having issues with android devices not being able to access the app.  I know I'm using android, and I still can't access anything.  It also stated that as long as you don't log out you should still be able to access the app, which was not true for me...  hopefully they get this fixed soon...

0 Kudos
Temple
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah, it has been broken for a few days. I cannot use my remote outlets to turn things on and off. It is frustrating. 

0 Kudos
Temple
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I installed the roku mobile app and the Roku Smart Home allowed me to log in again, finally, and it remembered all my devices. 

Saphryn135
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Are you using android?

0 Kudos