Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rs232
Reel Rookie

ss-iptv installation on roku premiere

I have an .apk I would like to add to my roku. This is the ss-iptv package. I've tried enabling developer mode and upload the .apk from Roku's web interface but it complains about a missing manifest (which is present in the .apk but in a subfolder).

So to summarise this post:

- has anyone succeded installing ss-iptv on Roku, if so how?

- anything to consider/read/attempt while doing so (e.g. roku's accepted .apk format, etc)?

- if really not possible, is there any alternative app I should consider to handle .m3u files?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: ss-iptv installation on roku premiere

There are apps/channels that can do m3u try an internet search.  If they need private codes then they won't work after early December.

Roku may not be the best platform if your main focus is m3u.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
rs232
Reel Rookie

I did some googleing (before posting) IPTV Smarters but I can't get past the login screen.

http://blablabla.bla/get.php?username=USERNAME&password=PASSWORD&type=m3u&output=mpegts

user: USERNAME

password: PASSWORD

URL: blablabla.bla

is not working where on my PC does.

As a second option I do have the .m3u saved locally and have made it available via LAN webserver however IPTV Smarters requires a username and password where my server doesn't so it's not usable locally either.

What do you mean by private codes?

I'm considering returning the unit... I'm not looking for a product with so many unnecessary restrictions.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Private codes: there are lots of roku channels which are not publicly visible in channel store.  Instead you need to know the private name, and use add a private channel in web account to add to device (then request an update from the device to make it appear).  Many lists of private channels on internet.  Roku is withdrawing this feature in early Dec due to abuse, tho, channels will disappear.   

Search for Roku channel m3u using decent search engine (try also adding word private).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
rs232
Reel Rookie

Thank this help.

I did fins something but when I go adding the private channels they either fail at installation time or if they install they don't work any ways (e.g. this app is not working any more, sorry for the inconvenience, etc)

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@rs232 

Keep in mind that most IPTV apps, particularly the non-certified apps (also called private channels), are used to stream illegal content. If the app you use is one of those, Roku will likely remove it from your device and remove your ability to install non-certified apps.

If your intent is proper -- that is, not for piracy -- be sure the app isn't designed for that purpose, as it may set off a red flag at Roku.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
rs232
Reel Rookie

I agree there is illegal content available out there, but not all of it! Also IPTV apps are very likely never illegal themselves. That said I have a public .m3u and would like to visualise it on Roku, nothing illegal really. I do find it difficult to digest/accept how much effort it has been put into blocking/controlling user activity. I am a grown up and legally respond for myself, really. I don't need a supervisor/tutor like Roku. I'm truly disappointed with this product...

I bought it thinking it was top of the range but this IPTV thing is a massive set back on my expectations. I fall from the chair reading that I can easily install ss-iptv on amazon fire. I'm at this point likely going for a return and switch product.

Good luck with the censorship!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@rs232 

As @MilesT said, Roku might not be the best platform for playing .m3u content. And I have no idea why you're telling me "good luck with the censorship." I'm not censoring anything. I'm just a Roku user, like you, Read my signature again. See where it says "I am not a Roku employee?" That means I am not a Roku employee.

I'm just offering information that may be useful to you as you attempt to watch the content you want to watch. I'm saying be careful what you use. Or don't. You're grown. Make your own decisions and live with the consequences. I'm just making sure you have enough information to make a good decision.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."