Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mishka
Reel Rookie

roku won't turn on unless another device is also on/using HMDI switch

Jump to solution

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Roku Premiere. I set it up last night and it works - but only if the PS4 is also on.

The set-up is this: TV has a single HDMI port, so I have a switch (three ports). The PS4 is plugged into one port, the Roku into another. Third port is empty. The switch has a manual button to flip between ports. When a device powers on, the corresponding indicator light on the switch goes green.

When I turn on the TV, none of the port indicators turn on.

If I turn on the PS4, the port indicator lights up, and I can then switch the connection to the Roku (and it will work fine). But, if I turn off the PS4, the Roku also shuts down/drops connection.

Do Roku devices not work well with switches? I don't want to be continuously plugging/unplugging cables and I'd rather not have the PS4 running if I'm not using it.

Any ideas?

thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: roku won't turn on unless another device is also on/using HMDI switch

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if the switch has its own power supply or is drawing power from the HDMI cable?  As far as I know, there is a tiny bit of power typically available on HDMI connections but it isn't really supposed to be used to power devices.  But I think some HDMI switches do that anyway,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@mishka 

Let's try some troubleshooting scenarios and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Swap the HDMI ports of the Roku and PS4. Does the behavior still happen? Is there any hierarchy to the ports? This might help determine that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mishka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

I switched the ports. I even tried with just the Roku plugged in (other ports empty) Roku still won't turn on unless PS4 is on.

The blue indicator light in on in the Roku's side. If I try any of the remote buttons, that light flickers, but the port's indicator won't turn on.

thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Did the switch come with any documentation or instructions that can shed some light on your issue?  Does the switch manufacturer have a web site where you can search for information?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
mishka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@makaiguyThe switch may have had a manual at some point, but I don't know where it would be. I've had it for years.

It was working fine on Monday - I had a firestick and the PS4 plugged in, both worked without any problem, I could flip between them as needed. But the firestick is rather bulky and tends to overheat (hence the Roku purchase).

thanks - I'll see if I can dig up any specs on the switch tonight.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if the switch has its own power supply or is drawing power from the HDMI cable?  As far as I know, there is a tiny bit of power typically available on HDMI connections but it isn't really supposed to be used to power devices.  But I think some HDMI switches do that anyway,

mishka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Strega 

huh. Now THAT could be it. If the PS4 is on, then the switch has a power source. If not then the Roku just isn't strong enough to supply the power.

Thank you, Strega

0 Kudos