Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alfred08
Binge Watcher

least expensive roku box - options for small tv

Jump to solution

We have a small non-smart TV that we would like to use Roku streaming on.  
Our big TV is a Roku 55" 

This is a second TV and will not be the main TV.  We do not need a soundbar.

What are the least expensive Roku box options ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: least expensive roku box - options for small tv

Jump to solution

I will STRONGLY recommend the Express 4K+ as the base model. I used to have an Express, and virtually every time you went to start an app, it would have to download and install it due it it's measly 256MB of channel storage. Worse, it would sometimes even lose login information for an app if it wasn't used in awhile. The 4K+ has 4GB of channel storage (same as all the newer models) and I have never seen it do a download/install once it was set up. Performance-wise, it is a bit faster than the Express, and almost as fast as my Ultra in another room. I have mine on an Ethernet adapter now, but it worked fine on 5GHz WiFi, although the router was only about 5 ft away from it!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The least expensive Roku model is the Express (3960), but keep in mind that you get what you pay for.  It doesn't come with a remote with TV controls or even a USB power adapter (which can lead to problems when people try to use one that's insufficient).  I think most would say that the 10 bucks extra the Express 4k+ costs is worth it.

You can see all the current models here:  Roku Players | Roku

You might want to check your offers to see if you have any:
https://my.roku.com/offers
https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Alfred08
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Point we'll taken.  But old TV is only 720p

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Alfred08-

The Express 4K is a vastly superior unit no matter what resolution TV you are connecting it to.  Express can only connect to 2.4 GHz Wifi, but the 4K can also connect to the uncrowded and faster 5GHz band.  It is also faster and more responsive, has twice the memory and a whopping 16 times the channel storage space.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I will STRONGLY recommend the Express 4K+ as the base model. I used to have an Express, and virtually every time you went to start an app, it would have to download and install it due it it's measly 256MB of channel storage. Worse, it would sometimes even lose login information for an app if it wasn't used in awhile. The 4K+ has 4GB of channel storage (same as all the newer models) and I have never seen it do a download/install once it was set up. Performance-wise, it is a bit faster than the Express, and almost as fast as my Ultra in another room. I have mine on an Ethernet adapter now, but it worked fine on 5GHz WiFi, although the router was only about 5 ft away from it!

Alfred08
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I hate to use a 4k device on an old 720p TV.

But it does seem like the best option.

I can't afford a new one but i am going to look around.

Thanks!

0 Kudos