Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andysman
Reel Rookie

how to upgrade a TCL/ Roku TV and set a Roku stick as default

Jump to solution

I have a 6-year-old TCL/ Roku TV which doesn't support Apple TV.  I bought a Roku Streaming stick 4K but how do I set the stick as a default?  I have it installed to the HDMI-2 port and paired the new remote but when I select the HDMI-2 input it refers back to the old ROKU TV menu.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to upgrade a TCL/ Roku TV and set a Roku stick as default

Jump to solution

@andysman wrote:

I have a 6-year-old TCL/ Roku TV which doesn't support Apple TV.  I bought a Roku Streaming stick 4K but how do I set the stick as a default?  I have it installed to the HDMI-2 port and paired the new remote but when I select the HDMI-2 input it refers back to the old ROKU TV menu.  

Hi there!

To have your Roku TV automatically use the Roku Streaming Stick

You can set the TV to power on to "last known device" or directly to "HDMI-2." On the TV Roku Home screen using the TV remote, navigate to Home > Settings > Power and you'll see an option to make those changes there. 

To use other devices with your Roku TV

For your other inputs, you can set "1-touch" on your other TV to automatically turn to that HDMI port when another remote is in use, for example, if you use a cable box or a Blu-ray player. Set this setting on your Roku TV under Home > Settings > System > CEC > System (audio) control > and highlight "1-touch play." When you use the remote for the other system, your Roku TV will automatically switch to that HDMI input. To go back to your Roku Streaming Stick, just use your Roku Streaming Stick remote and your Roku TV will switch to that HDMI. 

Now, you can set your Roku TV remote in a drawer or remove the batteries. Keep it somewhere safe in case you need to use it again, but for the most part, your Roku TV will automatically launch to the Roku Streaming Stick and any other devices you use with the TV can be turned on using their remotes. 

We're going to mark this post as solved, but if the instructions above don't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll continue helping!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@andysman-

To control the Streaming Stick you need to use the Streaming Stick remote, which has been paired to the Streaming Stick.

But since the Voice remote that came with the SS can be paired to either the Roku TV or the SS, getting it paired to the correct one could be tricky when they are so close together.

Do you have a TV in another room you can attach the SS to while pairing the remote?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
andysman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks makaiguy!   Yes, I can attach the SS to another TV. 

Currently, I have the SS installed on the TCL / Roku TV with the remote paired to the SS.  So, I can control TV power /volume with the Roku TV remote and the SS Roku channels with the SS remote.  

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@andysman wrote:

Hi there!

To have your Roku TV automatically use the Roku Streaming Stick

You can set the TV to power on to "last known device" or directly to "HDMI-2." On the TV Roku Home screen using the TV remote, navigate to Home > Settings > Power and you'll see an option to make those changes there. 

To use other devices with your Roku TV

For your other inputs, you can set "1-touch" on your other TV to automatically turn to that HDMI port when another remote is in use, for example, if you use a cable box or a Blu-ray player. Set this setting on your Roku TV under Home > Settings > System > CEC > System (audio) control > and highlight "1-touch play." When you use the remote for the other system, your Roku TV will automatically switch to that HDMI input. To go back to your Roku Streaming Stick, just use your Roku Streaming Stick remote and your Roku TV will switch to that HDMI. 

Now, you can set your Roku TV remote in a drawer or remove the batteries. Keep it somewhere safe in case you need to use it again, but for the most part, your Roku TV will automatically launch to the Roku Streaming Stick and any other devices you use with the TV can be turned on using their remotes. 

We're going to mark this post as solved, but if the instructions above don't solve the issue for you, let us know and we'll continue helping!

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos