Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jikennedy
Channel Surfer

how do you add a specific channel? Need channel 73 to for cable box

Jump to solution

Trying to set tv up and select channel 73 in order to watch Dish Network.  Is it possible with this tv?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: how do you add a specific channel? Need channel 73 to for cable box

Jump to solution

You can purchase aftermarket universal remotes that have Roku tv numeral keys 0-9 preset. Like Best Buy Insignia universal remotes in 3, 5, and 8 device models. The Roku tv code in them is tv 4398. Check online for open box sales. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh that’s a good idea.  And since the Dish remotes themselves are programmable multi-device remotes, I wonder if the Dish remote has codes for that TV?  The remotes for VIPs are pretty old, but I think they get updates for new codes. I know newer Dish remotes get updates but I’m not sure about the 20.0 remotes, which I assume is what you have.  (The Dish remotes can also learn, but for learning, you’d need the universal remote to teach it.)

By the way, for a couple of months now, anyone with a VIP receiver who has called into Dish for any purpose has been told that that their VIP is soon to be obsolete and they must schedule a visit to get updated.  So, if you ever have to call, you might want to plan ahead as to how you plan to respond. 

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jikennedy,

Warm greetings from the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this inquiry. Could you clarify more about the inquiry that you have? What Roku device are you using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify)'

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jikennedy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank s for the reply.

I have a tv purchased at Costco

Roku 55” Class – Select Series – 4K LED HDR Smart Roku TV

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jikennedy,

Thank you for sharing this information with us!

Once you have successfully set up your Roku TV, you may download the applications and channels you wish to watch, log in using your DISH Network membership credentials, and your Roku will be ready to stream those channels.

We hope this helps, and if you need anything else, please keep us posted.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jikennedy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm not finding the app to download for Dish Network.  I had connected the coax cable to the TV and usually select a specific channel (73) and all of the Dish Network channels are available.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

@jikennedy,

Thank you for the update!

In this case, we'll need reinforcement from your provider team for additional assistance. We've got there an available on the platform: DISH OnStream | TV App. But we still need their help. You can contact them here at 1-855-318-0572.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@jikennedy-

I'm just guessing at this ...

This sounds like you're connecting a Dish receiver to the TV's coax antenna connection.  With the Dish receiver powered up, have your TV scan for over the air channels to find and save the Dish output on channel 73.

When you then tune the TV to that channel you should be able to use the Dish receiver to select and view the Dish channels.

----

Added later:

The above is how one used to have to connect cable/satellite boxes to tvs that didn't have more modern inputs.

If you ARE connecting a Dish receiver as I surmised, in addition to the coax output, does it also have an HDMI output?  If it does you could connect directly to an HDMI input on the tv and not have to scan for channels or mess around with channel 73.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuERey  That app you linked to says it needs: "SMARTBOX with Streaming Blade and a subscription to DISH Business services. "  That is not for normal Dish home users. That's for hotels and the like.

@makaiguy(and OP) Dish has at least 3 ways to use one DVR/receiver for multiple places in the home.  The oldest ways is to use HDMI for the nearby TVs, and then connect it to coax cable (often already running throughout the home) for far away TVs, and I recognize channel 73 as one of the ones Dish uses for that.  Via RF Dish remotes, the remote TVs can control the DVR and see their independent video feed. (They also have more modern ways including MoCA, and Wi-Fi remote boxes. The OP might want to look into these.)

But I think the OP is set up the original way and just wants to tune his TV tuner to channel 73.  Someone posted on this forum a couple of years back that the FTC now allowed TVs to omit the old analog NTSC tuners from their TVs, so that might be the OP's problem.

Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku’s own page for this TV is a little skimpy on details.  For example, it doesn’t mention NTSC, but then it doesn’t mention ATSC either!  Looking at third party specs pages, I see NTSC listed on two, but not on another.  I think it can probably do NTSC, so perhaps a channel scan with the Dish receiver active is really is all you need?

0 Kudos
jikennedy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi,  Problem is it only scans for channels where it's receiving a signal.  Even on older tv's generally you had to manually tune to channel 73. 

0 Kudos