Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carmeljacques
Reel Rookie

having trouble getting started

This may be a dumb question.  I successfully completed setup (got a confirming message) but now I am unable to start using my Roku Express.  The streaming player displays a blue light on the left side and flickers when I hit the home button on my remote but that's it.  What do I need to do to move forward?  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: having trouble getting started

What do you see on the screen? When the Roku first boots, you should see a dancing Roku logo. Once the boot is complete, you should see the Roku home screen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Carmeljacques
Reel Rookie

Thanks for responding.  After I posted my question, I went back to my Quick Start Guide and got out the remote that came with the TV.  I selected the source I used to connect the streaming player.  I subsequently saw the dancing ROKU logo and was successfully on-line.  My problem now is 2-fold.  I would like to access my local TV stations but if I try to do that by using my Xfinity remote to shut down and restart I just get reconnected to ROKU.  Second I would like to use Airplay to stream movies on my MAC.  I created a password but when I bring up the password and click "done" nothing happens.  Can you help, please?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

You can't use a single control for everything, unfortunately. The Roku remote has some limited HDMI CEC functionality, in that it can turn the TV on/off and control the volume. It can also tell the TV to change to the HDMI input the Roku is using if you hit the home button on the Roku remote (assuming you're not already on that input). But it can't control the Xfinity box, nor control anything else on the TV. I don't have any experience with the Xfinity remote, but I believe it can control other devices, such as your TV, and perhaps even the Roku. But I can't offer any suggestions about that. 

I'm assuming both your Xfinity and Roku boxes are connected to different HDMI ports on the TV. Use the TV remote (or the Xfinity remote if it can control your TV) and change the input to the correct port when you want to watch TV (assuming it's coming through the cable box). If you get your locals over the air, you need to change to the TV tuner, instead of one of the HDMI ports. 

I use AirPlay from my phone, but I don't have a Mac, so am not certain how AP works from them. The Roku doesn't have a password for AirPlay that I ever remember. I just looked at the settings in my Premiere, and I see you can require an access code first time, every time, or use a password. That explains why I wasn't aware of the password, never used it. I just tried it from my phone, and since it's connected before it didn't ask for the passcode, it just started mirroring the screen. Just tried my iPad, which has never connected before. The passcode appeared on the TV screen, and I entered it on the iPad. It immediately popped up the shared screen. Perhaps change yours from using a password to a passcode, either one time or every time.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos