Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
5dnvr8
Streaming Star

current roku express vs. 2108 stick

Hi,

Currently we have a 2018 model 3800X Streaming Stick, the remote may be dying, Robot Sad. With an upgrade offer I can get a Roku Express for the same price as a new remote for the 3800X. We have a 720P TV & can most likely get by with an Express. Perhaps the wiser decision is to buy a new Roku Express as opposed to a new remote for the Stick.

I assume Roku upgrades the Express models hardware on occasion. Would a new Express model be as powerful as a four-year-old 3800X Streaming Stick?

I realize we will be going back to line of sight for the remote, not a big deal. Being restricted to the 2.4 GHz band will be a bummer though.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Re: current roku express vs. 2108 stick

The fact that your tv is only a 720 I would opt for a Roku TV that does 1080 or 4K. Don’t buy the base model Express. They are cheap for a reason. If you like the Stick then get another Stick. It’s on sale. $10 off

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@5dnvr8-.

You understand the limitations of the current Roku Express 3930, i.e. single band wifi and simple IR remote.  If you can accept these limitations you will probably be satisfied with the current Express.

You will find that any model in the current product line will outperform your current 3800 stick in terms of responsiveness.

If you have thoughts of upgrading your 720p tv in the near future, you may want to spend just a few more bucks to get the Express 4K for future proofing - it would work with your current set and give you dual band wifi support, plus allow you to take advantage of the capabilities of the next set as well.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
5dnvr8
Streaming Star

@makaiguy wrote:

You will find that any model in the current product line will outperform your current 3800 stick in terms of responsiveness.

That is the answer I was looking for. We have no plans to upgrade our 720P TV, it is fine. If the new Express is as fast (or faster) than our 2018 stick, then that is probably the path of least resistance.

Thank you

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@5dnvr8  Upgrading to 1080 or 4K will be a huge improvement over 720. Many users buy the Roku Express 3930 cause it’s cheap. But if you read on here many owners of that model are having connection issues cause their ISP changes the modem. So your Roku no longer connects and you will have to go into your modem settings and change things around 

0 Kudos
5dnvr8
Streaming Star

We have a five-year-old Roku Express & an even older Roku LT, both are used daily, never any issues. They have fared better than the Stick. Have no interest in buying a new TV. Another Express sounds right.

Thanks