Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bagujo
Reel Rookie

Will a Roku Stick override another Smart TV's UI?

Jump to solution

I have a Samsung TV with Tizen and the UI on it is awful. I was wondering, if I buy a Roku Stick, will it completely override the Tizen UI? Will my other inputs and settings and everything be accessible on the Roku UI or will I still need to use the TV's default menus for those things?

If not, I'm probably just gonna have to find a way to trade this TV in for a Roku one if I can, it's so much worse. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will a Roku Stick override another Smart TV's UI?

Jump to solution

The Roku would be just another connected device like a Blu-ray player or cable box.  You'd have to use the TV's UI to access those devices as well as the Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
renojim

Jump to solution

The Roku would be just another connected device like a Blu-ray player or cable box.  You'd have to use the TV's UI to access those devices as well as the Roku device.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bagujo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dang. Guess I'm TV shopping again then 😅

Thanks for the reply!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@bagujo 

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a new TV, but ... well, maybe I am. Here's the deal.

If you are using TV to simply switch inputs to other devices, then you should only need to press the Input (or Source or whatever term your TV uses) to change the input. Most Samsung TVs support CEC fairly well. That means if you have that enabled, then you should be able to simply pick up the Roku remote and press a button to turn the TV on and switch the input to Roku. And, most other devices should work the same way.

Oh, and way off topic here, but you still have cable? I hope you're not paying a whole lot for it, since many cable channels can be accessed through a live streaming service that you can get via Roku. But that's another topic altogether.

Keeping the focus on buying a new TV, I would suggest trying to see if the current TV can function in a way that you don't ever have to use the TVs interface. I never use mine. I'd have to look to find the remote. It's around here somewhere. I just use my Roku remote for everything I watch. I don't watch DVD/Blu-ray discs since I purchase digital copies of movies and watch them via Roku. The DVDs I do own have been ripped to a computer and I watch them on Roku via the Plex app (there are other apps that help do the same thing). The point is that you may have just scratched the surface of what you can do with TVs today. If you're using more than one remote at a time, you may be overlooking some functionality. You should never have to touch your TV remote, if all of your content is via external devices (Roku, Blu-ray/DVD, game system, etc.).

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Depending on how big a screen you want (and whether you want 4k or just HD) here are a couple of other options instead of a new smart tv

1/ Second hand high quality but "dumb" HD TV with your current Roku stick.

2/ HD capable larger size computer monitor, with a Roku Streambar instead of a stick.  (Most monitors don't support audio, which would be needed for existing stick.)

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
ukfigs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Based on my current experience with roku OS 10.5 basically bricking my TCL RokuTV I would be very careful about buying a smart TV with the OS coming from a 3rd party vendor like Roku. TCL says my problems are software related and therefore are a Roku problem, and Roku so far has been non responsive, has bricked many many TVs with the latest update and so far has not stepped up to fix the issues that have been reported for months leaving the users with an expensive piece of junk. I would recommend getting a smartTV from someone who makes the TV and the software (e.g. Samsung, LG) so at least you only have one place to go if things go wrong. And dont buy extended warranty from companies like bestbuy as they will not fix software related problems like in my case. If you want the Roku GUI and channel functionality then buy a good TV as I suggested and plug a Roku stick into the TV or AVR, if the stick goes bad for some reason you are only out $40 not hundreds if the TV is bricked.

AmidMany
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

we plugged in a Roku stick to see if we could retrieve the old interface, but it switched back to the app. I'm sure my wife will survive, but I've been wondering lately.

LG C2 55

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@AmidMany

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are you trying to accomplish?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos