Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Re: Why no 4k with Roku Ultra?

Jump to solution

And mine is a 4802, not a 4800

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@oldbuzzard wrote:

My AVR supports DV. I can play it just fine through the smart TV apps and I can play HDR through the old Roku with the exact same setup. Also, all the lit on my amp says it supports DV. The AVR isn't the issue

I saw that in your later response, so I understood your AVR supported it after I had posted.  Are you certain there's not a setting in the AVR that is altering the video signal? I know in my Yamaha I had to change a setting to passthrough the 4K signal intact, and if that setting was wrong the TV did not display HDR and likely would not have passed DV either. On the Yamaha they labeled it as "mode 1" and "mode 2", but I doubt that carries over to a different brand. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@oldbuzzard wrote:

And mine is a 4802, not a 4800

No problem. The 4802 supports DV just like the 4800. I think the only real difference between the two is the 4802 comes with the rechargeable remote, while the 4800 came with the older non-chargeable version. 

Dan

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

its not a setting, because it worked with the old 4660 just fine and it also works with my smart tv apps. Its just this new model that doesn't seem to communicate properly with the amp. There is an enhanced HDMI setting that expands the throughput to accommodate the faster HDMI cables and formats and I tried changing to that and had a different problem. Then it auto detected HDR and DV, but when I went to play any HDR/DV content, it was in 1080.

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

For whatever reason, I can't get mine to work in HDR or DV.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yeah, the enhanced HDMI setting is probably required for proper DV/HDR passthrough. I can't explain why you're having a problem, but I have no doubt it's related to the AVR. One way to confirm it would be to connect the Roku directly to the TV, making sure the HDMI port you use has all the enhanced settings enabled there as well. If you can't get 4K/DV/HDR that way, then I would concur there appears to be something with the player. But you need to make that test to be certain.

My gut feeling is it's going to work fine, so the next step is to find the correct settings on the AVR to let the signal passthrough correctly. 

Dan

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It's not the AVR, or the old 4660 wouldn't have been able to display HDR. Same connection, same cable.

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Its' been almost 3 months. Why no response by now?

0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I wish I could get a definitive answer from either Roku or from Pioneer.  Neither one has responded to these questions in any helpful/credible way.  Some things suggested by commenters on this thread point to Roku being the problem, others point to Pioneer being the problem.  I have tried everything that has been suggested.  At this point I am thoroughly confused, frustrated, and disappointed, and the experts at Roku and Pioneer have neglected to address this. 

0 Kudos
stevem13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just came across this thread. I have the Ultra and a pioneer 534 too, and had the same problem trying to get a 4k picture, even  though both the 534 and my Oled Bravia have these capabilities.

But a few months ago I read about a hack that works. I connected my Ultra directly to my Bravia Oled through one of the hdmi ports that’s NOT the ARC. I kept the Arc connection between the 534 and the TV. My TV has no problem processing the 4k hdr connection from the Ultra. In the meantime the TV sends the surround sound audio signal it receives from the Ultra through the ARC—which works in either direction—to the receiver.

Others have successfully done this too. The only thing you might have to do when you stream is set the 534 to “tv” instead of “streaming,” though as soon as I engage the roku remote that happens automatically anyway. Of course you will need to ensure that your TV audio settings are set to “audio system” rather than Tv speakers, but if you’re using the 534 that’s probably already the case.

Ive now done this with 2 tvs in my home and it’s worked both times. 

0 Kudos