Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why no 4k with Roku Ultra?

Jump to solution

Well, I'm crossing my fingers for you that the Pioneer experts can tell you a setting to change to make it work correctly. I had a hunch it was the AVR, but troubelshooting from a distance is not an easy task. Glad you've confirmed the Roku is working as expected. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

This does NOT indicate the AVR won't pass 4k/60. It only indicates that the colorspace for it will not be RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4.

Color space (Color Depth):

"4K SMPTE (4096×2160p) 24/25/30 Hz : RGB/YCbCr4:4:4 (8/10/12 bit), YCbCr4:2:2 (12 bit)"

That, and all the resolution/refresh combinations above it, will allow a colorspace of RGB or a 4:4:4 subsampling, whether at a 24, 30, or 36 bit depth, or 4:2:2 at 36 bits.

"4K (3840×2160p) 50/60 Hz,
4K SMPTE (4096×2160p) 50/60 Hz :
RGB/YCbCr4:4:4 (8 bit), YCbCr4:2:2 (12 bit), YCbCr4:2:0 (8/10/12 bit)"

Those two 4K/60 resolutions will allow a colorspace of RGB or 4:4:4 at 24 bits, 4:2:2 at 36 bits, or 4:2:0 at any bit depth.

Just enable "auto-adjust display refresh rate" and most likely any HDR content will be 24p anyway, and it'll pass 4K/24p at 4:4:4.

If the content is actually 4K/60 the color subsampling can be RGB or 4:4:4 only if HDR is off. You can choose between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 in the Roku setting for HDR subsampling, and the AVR will pass it through. 

That's the way I read it. In my case, with a low-end Samsung (HDR 10, 10+) and Ultra 4670x (HDR10) I get 4:4:4 on 4K/24p HDR content, and 4:2:0 on any 4K60p content. 

(8 bits per channel=24, 10=30, 12=36 bit depth)
0 Kudos
garthcas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for joining in 011.  I must admit I'm not an expert on this and much of it goes over my head.  I do have Auto-Adjust Display Refresh Rate set to ON, and HDR Always On set to OFF.  But I'm still confused why the Display Type still defaults to Automatic (1080p Dolby Vision), and discourages me from manually setting it to either 4K Dolby Vision HDR TV or to 4K HDR TV (saying it's not recommended).  It seems to be okay with manually setting it to 4K TV, however.  Should I ignore the "not recommended" warnings and select one of the 4K settings, or just leave it on Automatic (1080p Dolby Vision)?  Also, with HDR set to Off, I won't be able to get any benefit from this?  My rudimentary knowledge held that HDR was a good thing to have.  Ditto for Dolby Vision.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

As far as selecting a resolution manually, definitely try each one. My 4670 Ultra displays a picture and asks if it looks ok; if you don't respond after a few seconds timeout, it will revert to the resolution you started with (so don't touch the remote if you don't see what I described).

Mine also has an option right below the auto-adjust refresh option, for HDR sub-sampling; try 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 to see if it has any effect on your results. EDIT: This won't appear when the display output is 1080p, at least on my model of Ultra.

First troubleshooting I'd do is connect Roku direct to TV, try both cables and all HDMI inputs. Try swapping roku to AVR and AVR to TV cables.

There's nothing in the specs on that AVR to indicate that it wouldn't work. See if you can isolate it to the AVR. And there's an option 1080p -> 4K Upscaling, default Auto, on that AVR. Turn it off. It's unnecessary, the Roku should output everything at 4K anyway, and if some other source is 1080p, the TV probably has a better scaler. Let us know if you have any luck.

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

You can totally fault ROKU. My equipment supports HDR and DolbyVision and did just fine displaying both on my old 4660. This new model's settings are messed up and won't allow you to manually select 4K HDR. I'm going to have to go back to the old one - this was a waste of money and set up time and the message about setting up both on a TV is BS. All halfway new TVs are set up for all of this.

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with an LG OLED, a Gigabit Fiber ethernet connection and a Marantz 6015. My older Roku 4660 works fine with the exact same connections. There is obviously an issue with this product, or its current firmware. Will anyone at Roku address it? Their idea is for me to connect it via hotspot on my phone. Grrr.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@oldbuzzard wrote:

My equipment supports HDR and Dolby Vision and did just fine displaying both on my old 4660. 

What equipment do you have? Do you have an AVR in the HDMI path? The 4660 did not support Dolby Vision. The 4800 was the first player that supports DV. When I added a display that offered DV, I had to replace my AVR because it didn't support DV. Just because an AVR supports 4K/HDR doesn't mean it supports DV. 

For the record, I have no issue with 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision with my Ultra 4800. I have a Yamaha AVR that supports DV (as well as Dolby Atmos) and an LG Nano85 display. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My AVR supports DV. I can play it just fine through the smart TV apps and I can play HDR through the old Roku with the exact same setup. Also, all the lit on my amp says it supports DV. The AVR isn't the issue

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Forgot - its a Marantz 6015

0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The lit on it shows it clearly:
https://www.marantz.com/en-au/product/av-receivers/sr6015
Scroll down and you'll see the Atmos and DolbyVision logos. My problem isn't the AVR

0 Kudos