Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EcalVin
Reel Rookie

Why does my Roku Express lose my account info overnight?

Just bought a Roku Express and connected to a Samsung 82” TV using the supplied Premium HDMI cable and drawing power from the TVs USB port.  It works great throughout the day.  I turn off the TV when going to bed…not explicitly the Express box.  When I start up the TV in the morning the Roku app starts but it is at the new device setup screen…asking me to start a trial or login.  I select Login and I’m presented with the screen that requires authentication, likes I’ve never used it on this device before.  All accounts have to go through the same…it loses all account logins.  

I had a Roku Stick on this TV for a while and it never acted this way.   Thoughts?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Why does my Roku Express lose my account info overnight?

Hello @EcalVin

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

You've mentioned that you are powering your device from the TV's USB port. In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@EcalVin-

In addition to the reply from @RokuKariza-D ...

The USB port on many TVs powers down when you turn off the TV.  That means the Roku has to power back up each time you turn the TV back on.  I wouldn't think this whould cause your Roku to require a full setup each time (my several Roku devices can be unplugged and still retain their settings when plugged back in) but it still might be worth while to try powering your Roku directly from your house power to see if this makes any difference.

Another thing to try as it has caused some people problems:  If your Express has a Settings > System > Power option, try going there and disable Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
EcalVin
Reel Rookie

Ok…switched off the power time out setting on the Express box and changed power feed to house power, not TV.  Turned off TV at end of day.  When starting up TV this morning the Roku device was in screen saver mode.  So, I’ll declare PROBLEM SOLVED.   Thanks for your help, everyone.   

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

I can add that the standard Express is rather outdated and has very limited memory which can cause all sorts of problems. The Express 4K should be considered the minimum Roku to buy, especially with your large screen.

0 Kudos