Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smrIN
Reel Rookie

Why does Roku think I'm in Canada and how can I change that?

We recently bought a Roku Streaming 4K and everything seems to be working except that it won't let us add Hulu.

From reading the post at

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/I-can-t-find-Hulu-in-the-Channel-Store/td-p/5...

we think the issue is that Roku thinks we're in Canada (the country selector at the bottom right of some pages say our language is CA Eng. I tried to change that to U.S. Eng (we bought the devise, and live, in Indiana) but it doesn't stick and Hulu STILL can't be added to our channels.

How can we let Roku know that we're in the middle of the U.S. and not in Canada? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why does Roku think I'm in Canada and how can I change that?

If that page selector was on CA-Eng when you created your Roku user account, it believes the account was created in Canada. So only channels available in Canada will be available, and since you're not actually in Canada they likely won't connect. Unfortunately, the streaming providers often have geographical restrictions on where they are permitted to stream, so they have to enforce a user location.

To my knowledge there's no way to change that setting, and the only solution is to create a new user account and link your Roku to the new account. @RokuDanny-R might have some additional suggestions, and perhaps it can be changed by Roku themselves.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @smrIN,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

It sounds like you may have created a Roku account that isn't located in your current region. If channels in your region are not available, it may indicate that your device is linked to an account that was created in a different region where that channel may not be offered by the channel provider. You'll want to make sure that you are using an internet connection located in the correct region when creating your account. You can check your IP address's reported location by checking here. If you see an issue, you'll need to contact your ISP to help resolve any issue.

In that case, we would recommend creating a new Roku account in your region. For more information about how to create a new account, visit our Support page here: How to create a Roku® account | Official Roku Support

Once your new account is set up, try to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Otherwise, please reach out to our accounts team directly. They can be contacted here. Choose the option for "Account, Payments & Subscription." 

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
smrIN
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your answer! It's odd that nothing else gave us trouble except Hulu. I'll have to try creating a new account.

0 Kudos
smrIN
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your answer, Mary! We'll give what you suggested a try and hope that'll do the trick. 🙂

0 Kudos