Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgmf
Channel Surfer

What to do with old roku unit

I recently bought a new Westinghouse Roku TV which I just got set up and working with my existing Roku account. 5-8 years ago I bought a detached Roku unit which I used until this new TV on a normal (not "Smart") TV. What should be done with this older unit? Should I disconnect it? Can it be used by someone else at a different location? Can it remain connected to the non-Smart TV?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: What to do with old roku unit

@dgmf Your original Roku device can still be used on your not smart TV.  You can have mulitple Roku devices on one account.  Please be aware that any app added or deleted on one device will be added/deleted on the other device.  If you do decide to give the Roku device to someone else make sure you do a factory reset of the device before you give it to someone else or all of your information will remain on the device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, you can continue to use the older Roku player on a different device. You can leave it connected to your user account if you're the one that will continue to use it. If you want to give it to someone else, you should do a factory reset to remove all your personal information, then log into your Roku user account on their web site and remove the device from your account. Then the new user can use their own Roku user account on the device. If you decide to just throw it away, do the factory reset as well, then find an e-device recycler. Don't actually throw it in the trash.

All that said, you didn't mention what the model number is on your older Roku. Depending on what it is, it might no longer be a supported device and might not work with some of the more popular channels/apps. You might not want to give it to a family member if it's an old device that doesn't work with everything.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dgmf
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know the model number. If it's printed on it somewhere I can look. It's probably 8+ years old and has been working, and still works, fine. If there are channels I can't get I don't know about it.

Factory reset seems like the way to go. How would I do that? This is a stand-alone small unit probably 3x3x1". It's still hooked up to the older TV so if a screen is necessary for a factory reset I've got that. I assume I can give it to someone else to use after the factory reset, right?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Since it's still hooked up and working, you can get the model number in the Settings/System/About screen. The first line has the model number and name.

If it's that old, odds are it's either already been dropped as a legacy model, or likely to happen within the next year.  There are a few of the older players (Roku 3, both versions) that are still a reasonable device, but their days are numbered. 

Yes, doing the factory reset is easier if you have the device connected and running. Go to the Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset menu and follow the instructions. Note that this is the menu position for my Premiere 3920 which is connected to the TV next to me. It's possible that an older device might have a different menu structure and the Factory reset is located somewhere else. 

Dan

0 Kudos
makaiguy

From Roku home screen: Settings > System > About will show you the model name and number.

To do a Factory Reset: Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
dgmf
Channel Surfer

The unit is a Roku 3. That was stamped on the top of the unit. Under Setrtings > System screen, the only thing I found related to what could be a model number was 4230X,

I found the "Factory Reset" screen and it wanted me to enter a code that it displayed. However, my Roku remote has no number pad and using the arrow keys or OK key just cleared that screen or generated new numbers, so I don't know how to factory reset.

0 Kudos
atc98092

There are two versions of the Roku 3, the 4200 and 4230. Your version was released in April 2015, so it's over eight years old. Both versions of the Roku 3 were outstanding players, and Roku still supports both of them with updates. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the next ones to move to legacy status some time next year, simply because of their age. The 4200 is two years older than yours.

When you were on the system reset screen, pressing the OK button should have brought up a number pad to enter the numbers. But there is another way to perform a factory reset. On the back of your Roku there's a small hole that has a button recessed in it. Use a paper clip or some similar way to press that recessed button while the Roku is powered up and hold it for at minimum of 30 seconds. Not one second less, and ignore anything you see on the screen while you're counting. After the time passes, when you release the button the Roku will reboot with the new startup screen. It is now completely reset and you can safely give it away or recycle it. Just remember to remove it from your user account as well, as a precaution. 

Dan

0 Kudos