Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck In Setup on Language with Flashing Purple light

Fresh out of the box and connected it to my TV only to get to the Let’s Get Started screen and it is frozen. I noticed the Roku Express box was blinking purple with a long blink then short blink. What does that mean and why is getting support so hard?!?!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Stuck In Setup on Language with Flashing Purple light

No one at Roku has ever shared what the various flashes mean or exactly what any error codes mean.  That's just how Roku operates.

Rule number one with the devices that use a USB power adapter is to make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.  If you're doing that, make sure the remote is working.  More than one person has received dead batteries with the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

One thing to check on a non-responding remote: Be sure your batteries are installed with flat end of the battery contacting the spring, as indicated by the diagram molded into the battery compartment. 

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rjdays
Channel Surfer

Im having the same problem only I actually bought two Rokus and they both are stuck on language setup. There must be a lot of defective devices produced at the same time. It’s incredibly frustrating how you can’t get any support either. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@rjdays, the odds of you having two new defective devices is minimal.  It would help to know the model number of the devices written on them somewhere and what kind of remote you have.  Is there a button on the back or inside the battery compartment?  Don't assume the batteries that came with the remote are good.

And as always, if you're connecting it to the USB port on the TV try the supplied power adapter.

0 Kudos
rjdays
Channel Surfer

I tried them both first with batteries that came with them, and then with new batteries purchased from the store. Both Rokus say Model: 3930X, even though one is a Roku Express and one is a Roku LE. The Express is black and the LE is purple. The remotes are identical, except for the 4 built-in app buttons. Neither remote has an button under the battery door. They’re both just standard IR remotes. 

0 Kudos
rjdays
Channel Surfer

Also forgot to mention but I’ve been using the power adapter too and not the USB from the TV.

0 Kudos
renojim

@rjdays, there did seem to be a rash of bad remotes, but I still find it hard to believe that you managed to get two bad ones.  You can test if an IR remote is working by pointing it at a digital camera like one in your phone and pressing a button.  You should see a flash of light coming from the end of the remote on the camera's screen.  The light on the Roku should also flash if you point the remote at it and press a button.

0 Kudos
rjdays
Channel Surfer

1E6B28C1-E08D-4275-A81F-7EFEC253F658.jpeg

I did the cell phone camera test earlier before posting this upon the recommendation of someone on Reddit. I can see fain lights on the remotes through my cell phone camera when in a dark room. 

0 Kudos
mcmu0061

Same issue with the new two devices I got a discount on to upgrade my older devices. So frustrating, they’re  even two different models. Because it won’t even let me enter to connect to WiFi I can’t use my mobile app device either.