Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davebo
Reel Rookie

Streaming in multiple rooms with dedicated Rokus

Jump to solution

I am considering transition from cable/internet to streaming. Is there a guide to further understand my options for configuring an integrated multi-room setup with dedicated Roku boxes, or is the only option to connect to each fixed location and configure separately?

Note I assume on the Ultra that the wired ethernet is just to provide a wired/wireless connection for each location.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming in multiple rooms with dedicated Rokus

Jump to solution

Yeah, you just connect a Roku to each TV and if they are on the same account, then they will download the same apps.  I’d suggest getting a Roku or two and trying them out before you make any further plans.  There is nothing that requires cable TV and streaming to be exclusive, so you can have them both while you get familiar and compare.  In fact there are more questions and options in terms of what apps you will run on the Rokus than there are hardware choices.

Yes, Ultras can use ethernet or Wi-Fi.  Most other Rokus expect to be Wi-Fi. 

Oh and streaming comes from the internet so you won’t be transitioning from internet.  Just wanted to make sure that’s clear – one way to read your post makes it sound like you’re thinking Roku will be the provider of your internet, so just to be clear: they will not.  You will still need to provide that, probably from whatever company you use now.

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah, you just connect a Roku to each TV and if they are on the same account, then they will download the same apps.  I’d suggest getting a Roku or two and trying them out before you make any further plans.  There is nothing that requires cable TV and streaming to be exclusive, so you can have them both while you get familiar and compare.  In fact there are more questions and options in terms of what apps you will run on the Rokus than there are hardware choices.

Yes, Ultras can use ethernet or Wi-Fi.  Most other Rokus expect to be Wi-Fi. 

Oh and streaming comes from the internet so you won’t be transitioning from internet.  Just wanted to make sure that’s clear – one way to read your post makes it sound like you’re thinking Roku will be the provider of your internet, so just to be clear: they will not.  You will still need to provide that, probably from whatever company you use now.

Banned but back. Because why not?
davebo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Strega2! I understand the need for an internet connection vs cable feed. Sorry for inferring that Roku is an ISP. I'll now review the apps and streaming options cost for comparison.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

One thing to remember with streaming. Depending on the provider, you might be limited to how many streams (meaning separate streaming players) can connect to a service at one time. For example, Netflix limits you to two concurrent streams with the basic plan, and I believe it reaches four with the top plan. Other providers have similar limitations, so if you think you might have multiple TVs all watching the same provider (not necessarily the same content) you will need to investigate that provider more closely. But say you have two TVs on Netflix, another on Paramount+, another on Disney+, another on YouTube, there's no problem with that, assuming your Internet speed is fast enough for all those streams at once. 

If you are wondering about those speeds, you can use a rough rule of thumb to add your desired streams together. 4K content will max out at no more than 20 Mbps for most providers. 1080 (HD) content should not exceed 10 Mbps. DVD (SD) quality content is around 5 Mbps. So if you consider the worst case of every TV streaming a 4K/UHD movie at the same time, six TVs would require a minimum of 120 Mbps. Considering you want some overhead breathing space, and might still want to be able to browse the Internet, that would suggest at least a 200 Mbps connection.

If your expected streaming doesn't include that level of 4K streaming, you can adjust downward as desired. However, I'm of the school of more is better when it comes to Internet speed. When I switched from DSL to cable Internet, my speed went from 100 to 600 Mbps. Because of upgrades Comcast has made, I now have just under 1 Gbps speed for the same price. Just check around and see what speed is available to you and the cost. I will also add that I found it saved me money to rent my model from Comcast, instead of buying my own and paying for unlimited Internet usage. The modem rental fee is $5 per month less than paying for unlimited use, so I save $60 per year, plus I didn't need to spend $150 for my own modem. And when Comcast upgrades their modem, I get it for free, instead of purchasing another one. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
davebo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Dan,

That's a good refresher on concurrent streams, and bandwidth required per video quality.  The concurrent won't be an issue as there are just two viewers now, typically, and we already have those limitations for the providers through Comcast. Whether I remain with Comcast or move to all fiver like Ziply I should have plenty of margin, as we had not yet moved to 4K given the limited content available. I will have to review how much that has improved.

0 Kudos