Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hiksemebs

Spectrum question roku device.

My friends have Spectrum cable TV and a dumb TV. I want to install a Roku stick to add make choosing inputs easier. Is there a way to make the Roku remote control change the channel/volume for cable TV so they can use the much simpler Roku remote rather than the nightmare behemoth that Spectrum gave them?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Avaya
Roku Guru

Re: Spectrum question roku device.

No there is not.  A Roku remote is to control a Roku player. Some Roku models can turn the TV power on/off and turn the volume up/down. That is it. Best bet is to ditch Spectrum cable TV and go with YouTube TV or Hulu + Live TV. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@hiksemebs 

The Roku Voice Remote can control the power and volume of a TV. It cannot change the inputs (though, if the TV is so configured, it can notify the TV that it's active and the TV can switch the input to Roku, but Roku isn't actually making that switch).

Note that all it can control is the power and volume.

Now, my understanding is that there is a Spectrum app for Roku that you could use to watch Spectrum TV. I've never had Spectrum service and never seen the app in use, so I have no input on how well it works.

My mother had Xfinity Internet and cable, and used the Xfinity app to watch TV and sent the extra boxes back, saving $6/month each. I don't know if that would also apply to your Spectrum situation, but others here may have some input for you.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Boz
Roku Guru

Back when I had Spectrum, yes, using the Roku Spectrum app on each TV was the answer to saving cable box rental fees, so that's an excellent suggestion!

0 Kudos