Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DigitalDragon
Reel Rookie

Shuts off immediately after plugging in

Jump to solution

I was able to set up and update my Streaming Stick 4K without a problem. Everything seemed fine. But the next day when I wanted to watch TV, the Roku had turned off.  I had to unplug it and replug it to get it to work.  It happened again the third day, but this time it wouldn't restart.  What happens is that the white power light comes on for a few seconds, then it turns red for just a moment, then it begins blinking white for a few seconds before before going out completely.  I'm using the Roku AC power adaptor, but I've also tried USB from a computer (my TV doesn't have USB ports).  The same thing happened.  I've tried three different wall outlets and two different power strips.  Nothing changes.  As soon as I plug it in, it shines white, then red. then blinks white, then shuts down.  It doesn't matter which HDMI port it's plugged into or whether the TV is on or off.

The really weird thing is that the very same thing happened with a Roku Express 4K that I bought and returned before buying this Streaming Stick 4K, so it seems likely that the problem is not the Roku itself, but I'm not seeing what the problem is.  I've been building my own computers for nearly 30 years, so I'm usually pretty adept with this stuff, but this one has me stumped.

I had an older Roku for ten years that worked perfectly until dying recently, so I'm very disapppointed with my current experience.  I'm hoping someone can suggest something.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Shuts off immediately after plugging in

Jump to solution

@DigitalDragon-

Under Roku menu path Settings > System, do you have a Power item?  If so this was added to some recent models of Roku devices in the Roku 10.5 revision that is currently rolling out.  If you have this Power item try deactivating any power management options under that and see if it fixes the problem

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@DigitalDragon-

Under Roku menu path Settings > System, do you have a Power item?  If so this was added to some recent models of Roku devices in the Roku 10.5 revision that is currently rolling out.  If you have this Power item try deactivating any power management options under that and see if it fixes the problem

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DigitalDragon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!  That solved the problem.  There were some additional problems with my television, which is pretty old, and doesn't interact with the Roku the same as the Roku I was using for the last ten years, but the basic problem was the automatic shutdown after 20 minutes.

0 Kudos
realpeach
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This made me completely CRAZY.  I recently got a 4K+ stick (2021) to replace a Roku 3 (2013).  I have older models of the stick, including the 3810X, which is not so old -- all of which maintain the HDMI connection ALWAYS.  I could not figure out why the HDMI port the newest 4K+ was connected to would appear active and then disappear.  The only way to get the HDMI connection to re-engage was to unplug the Roku power and plug it in again.  Switched ports, switched TVs,  factory reset the darn thing. 

Now, I may have a vague memory of some prompt about the option to turn off power turning off after 20 minutes in setup (but I'm not sure).  My life would be easier if I read instructions, or if I understood what Power off at 20 minutes meant.  To me it seems that means if I was in HDMI/Roku mode and left it idle.  

AND, I believe that switching to HDMI and then clicking OK on the Roku stick will restart the connection without manually unplugging/re-plugging at the wall source.

Thank you.  This was driving me NUTS.

0 Kudos
Acardenas97
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello! Maybe you can help me with mine, I have a Roku streaming stick, model: 3810X 

Mine started acting a lil similar to the way this person's was, whereas i started to notice it wouldn't power up right away. Instead it delayed or flashed on then off so I would unplug, wait a few seconds, then plug in and it'd be fine. Well it's not doing that anymore, now it simply will not power on whatsoever. My remote for it got broken so Ive been using the app on my phone. Ive tried clicking the reset, nothing. I've tried different outlets, nothing. Any idea what I can do? Or what is causing this problem?

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Acardenas97, I think all sticks have a light on them somewhere.  Does it come on when you connect the power?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Acardenas97
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

No unfortunately it doesn't power on whatsoever.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Acardenas97, do you have another power adapter from a phone or tablet you can try?  It sounds like a dead stick or a dead power adapter.  I'm guessing it's more than a year old, so it's probably out of warranty.  Maybe @RokuDanny-R has a suggestion.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos