Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beauboffo

Scam QR Code on the bottom of the box

I recently purchased a Roku Streaming Stick 4 K.  I scanned the QR code on the box that clearly says Roku on it.  I filled in all the information thinking I am signing up for a Roku account and ended up with a subscription to Starller.  They want to charge me $49.95/mo after the first 5 days.  Why is Roku supporting this scam?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Scam QR Code on the bottom of the box

Was it a sticker on the box?  Where did yo buy it?  Can you post a picture of the box?  Searching for "Starller" definitely comes up with a lot of scam reports.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Scam QR Code on the bottom of the box

There’s a QR code on the bottom of my Roku box which appears to be a Serial Number.  Pointing my cell phone at it shows the same SN so that seems perfectly innocent.

However, if I tap on the scanned serial number, the phone then asks which browser I would like to complete that action in. So I picked one, and it launched that browser with a search for my Roku serial number.

With my chosen browser and chosen search engine, the first match/guess was Apple Support.  (Which might make you guess that I’m using an iPhone and/or Safari but I’m not. It was Bing in Firefox on Android that somehow selected Apple Support as a good guess for my serial number.)  It wouldn’t surprise me at all if other phones/browsers/search histories produced much different results for a search of a serial number.  Different serial numbers would also likely produce much different search results.

Oddly enough, the QR code I’m looking at is already a sticker.  So @renojim  is right, that it would be a really easy scam to cover Roku’s sticker with another one.  But then again, maybe the OP just searched up a serial number like I did… 

After I finished my experimentation, I turned off “Google Lens suggestions” in my camera app, so now my QR codes are not interpreted at all.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.