Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dumoch126
Binge Watcher

Roku ultra, Samsung qn90a and Sony str dn1080

Need help with setup. I have the qn90a, Sony str dn1080 and Roku ultra. 
I have 7.1 setup on receiver. 
do I connect ultra to receiver, then to tv using the earc ports or do I connect ultra to the tv, then back to the receiver?  
Which gives better sound and picture? 
what settings should inuse

TIA

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku ultra, Samsung qn90a and Sony str dn1080

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @Dumoch126.

Worry no more as we are here to assist you with your concern as best as possible.

We highly recommend plugging your Roku Ultra's HDMI cable into the HDMI port of your TV and the power adaptor directly into a power source. After doing so, you can then plug in your Soundbar and set up the audio on it through your TV. 

Let us know what you find out and we'll go from there. We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra, Samsung qn90a and Sony str dn1080

@Dumoch126Using an AVR as the 'control center', plugging the TV and Roku into the correct HDMI port will give you the ability to use the Sony for both audio and video providing you've studied the manual to find the correct ports.

Using an HDMI 2.1 cable, plug it into the Sony's TV port, and the other into the TV's Audio Return port. Then plug the Roku HDMI cable into the correct port on the Sony (check the manual to learn which is best) and plug the AC adapter into a power strip. Depending on the Roku model, its unlikely you'll be able to control the Roku with the Sony remote since most Roku remotes use WiFi direct. If you want to control the TV power with the Sony, study the manual to learn how.

Prior to tuning the Roku on, set up an account on the home page: https://www.roku.com/

I'm going to assume you know how to set up the Sony for use with the TV, so you you'll use the Sony remote to select the HDMI port for the Roku. Then using the Roku remote, you'll be directed to log into the WiFi network. Once logged in, if the Sony supports 4K HDR and Dolby Vision, select THAT display setting on the Roku; if not, use 4K. For audio, select 'Auto' for Dolby format and 'Pass through' which will allow the streaming channel to 'pass through' the native audio format for each channel. The other settings are self explanatory

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos