Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhcox

Roku soundbar with a monitor

I have an older Panasonic monitor (no tuner or speakers).  If I hook this up to a Roku soundbar with an HDMI cable (there is no ARC on the monitor) will the sound come out of the soundbar and the picture on the monitor?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Roku soundbar with a monitor

Haven't tried it but in theory should work.

One possible issue is an older monitor may not implement latest HDMI standards (part of which includes copy protection), so some video might not play.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

No, for anything connected to the monitor to have audio come out the streambar you have to have an audio out of the monitor and connected to an audio in on the streambar. Streambar's only audio inputs are HDMI-arc and optical. 

I do use a streambar as my computer speakers, with the help of analog to digital converter. There's 3.5 mm phono cable out of the computer onto the converter, optical out to the streambar, works great. The computer and streambar are connected to the monitor by 2-1 HDMI switch.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

@Tivoburkee, I took the OP's question to mean will the Roku's channels sound come out of the Streambar, not something else connected to the monitor.  It should, shouldn't it?

Tivoburkee

Yes, if the source of programs is the streambar, sound stays with streambar and video to the monitor. But nothing else connected to the monitor will be heard via the streambar not without the  hdmi-arc or optical. 

Edmund

0 Kudos