Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jdolan1234

Roku express stuck on Let's Get Started Screen

Jump to solution

My Roku express is stuck on the "Let's get started" screen. The IR light on the front of it is pretty much constantly firing. The remote when pointed at it makes it beep every few seconds, even when no buttons are being pushed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express stuck on Let's Get Started Screen

Jump to solution

@Jdolan1234 

If you are using your TV USB port for power, try using a power adapter at wall. (If device did not come with a power adapter, use a cell phone charging adapter 5v 1amp.)

Then Restart the device and see if that gets you through the screen.  If still no go after using wall power, press and hold in Reset button for 30+ seconds which should Factory Reset the device.

Feel free to post an update if still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community, @Durwood121!

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far. Thank you for keeping us informed of your progress.

It appears that your Roku remote needs to be paired with your Roku Express 4k. If you have a Roku voice remote, please verify the type of remote you have and follow the steps provided.

Kindly unplug your Roku device from the TV and then plug it back in. Once you have done this, please proceed to pair your remote with the device. This will help to resolve any connectivity or functionality problems you may be experiencing.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover.

Roku voice remote pairing button status light location

• Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash, to put your voice remote into pairing mode.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons  for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

Once your Roku device is successfully paired, you can proceed to activate it.

For further instructions on how to pair your remote, please visit our support page here on How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote.

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but reply to this message if the above did not fix your issue, and we will gladly follow up.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Durwood121 

Since you "held the reset button in long enough to reboot", you did not simply reboot, but performed a Factory Reset (which is why you are now seeing the "Let's Get Started" screen).

Here are your possible culprits.

1. Your remote is bad. (unfortunately, you cannot use the Roku mobile app as a remote since you factory reset the device.  Must first set up device using a physical remote before being able to use the mobile app since both the device and the mobile app need to be on the same network in order to communicate.)

You can perform a test to see if at least the remote is sending IR commands.  Using your cellphone, turn on the camera mode.  Then point the Roku remote at the camera (like you are taking a picture) and press some buttons.  You should hopefully see colored flashes of light on your phone screen if the remote is working.

2. The power adapter or power cable supply is bad.  Try using a new micro-usb power cable and adapter.  The power adapter has to be at least 5volts, 1amp.  Not all power adapters are the same, so need to verify proper specs.  Additionally, try plugging the USB cable into the TV USB port if you have one. (some TV USB ports cannot provide the necessary power so this is not a definitive test, but maybe you will get lucky).

3. The device is bad.  If both the remote and the power supplies test fine, then the device may have failed, but the symptoms you described indicate either a remote or power supply issue.  If you definitively rule out both remote and power, the device is 2 years old and unfortunately out of warranty. (1 year free replacement).

----

As for your router not detecting the Express 4k currently, that is because you are at the Getting Started screen.  The device has not performed a Network Scan yet (network and internet check) so that is normal.  You will need to proceed through setup a bit (when able) before your Express 4k will detect your router and request connection.

A router will only inform you of "connected" devices, not devices "capable of connection".  You router will not show you the Express 4k until you are successfully connected to it.

As for the "wired" connection test suggested by @RokuJechealR , your Roku Express 4k is capable of using a wired connection if you attach an ethernet adapter into the USB power port.  https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813.

-----

I know you already tried, but I would try another power adapter and cable.  If no-go, give the remote a good whack and try it again.  I wouldn't recommend a new remote because for close to the same price, you could just buy a new Roku device that will come with a new remote.

The Roku Express 4k+ is currently on sale for $30 and comes with a Voice remote.  https://www.roku.com/products/players  Can get for same price at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. 

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Jdolan1234 

If you are using your TV USB port for power, try using a power adapter at wall. (If device did not come with a power adapter, use a cell phone charging adapter 5v 1amp.)

Then Restart the device and see if that gets you through the screen.  If still no go after using wall power, press and hold in Reset button for 30+ seconds which should Factory Reset the device.

Feel free to post an update if still having issues.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for this: your suggestion worked.

My Roku Express kept looping 'ROKU-Let's get started' screens. After reading your comments, I tried  resetting but it did not help. What did it for me was to change the USB cell phone power adaptor. I was using an old Blackberry adaptor. When I switched to an iphone adaptor, it worked and I was able to set the system up.

Because the power adaptor can be an issue, Roku should consider shipping the system with a USB power adaptor.

Thanks

Sunkanmi

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@OmoBabaAgba 

Because the power adaptor can be an issue, Roku should consider shipping the system with a USB power adaptor. "

----

I agree.  Roku devices used to come with the necessary USB power adapters, but I guess like other electronic manufacturers, Roku could offer the devices cheaper (or appear cheaper) by not providing the adapter any longer.

0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

hi, i have a Roku express that suddenly stopped working the other night.  It turns on and shows the "let's get started" screen but the remote doesn't work and the Roku receiver has a white flashing light that repeatedly blinks two or three times each cycle.  Here's what I have done so far:

- changed batteries in the remote.

- ordered brand new remotes

- held the "reset" button long enough to get the Roku to reboot

- unplugged the HDMI cable & power cables for several minutes

- plugged HDMI cable into other HDMI ports on TV

What else do I need to check?  Is it possible the Roku receiver is bad?  It's never been dropped or accidentally hit so I don't understand why it would be bad already.  It's only a couple of years old. 

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community, @Durwood121!

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have taken so far. Thank you for keeping us informed of your progress.

It appears that your Roku remote needs to be paired with your Roku Express 4k. If you have a Roku voice remote, please verify the type of remote you have and follow the steps provided.

Kindly unplug your Roku device from the TV and then plug it back in. Once you have done this, please proceed to pair your remote with the device. This will help to resolve any connectivity or functionality problems you may be experiencing.

• If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover.

Roku voice remote pairing button status light location

• Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash, to put your voice remote into pairing mode.
  • If your voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons  for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.

Once your Roku device is successfully paired, you can proceed to activate it.

For further instructions on how to pair your remote, please visit our support page here on How to set up and pair your Roku voice remote.

We hope we have addressed your question appropriately, but reply to this message if the above did not fix your issue, and we will gladly follow up.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's a simple remote, therefore, no pairing required, right?  Just supposed to add batteries according to the online instructions.  

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Durwood121!

Yes, the Roku simple remote has no pairing button. As it uses IR technology, it needs to be pointed directly at your Roku device in order to work. 

It seems like you have already attempted all the necessary troubleshooting steps. Since the issue still persists, we would like to gather more information from you. Could you please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device?

We will wait for your response and continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

SO7R221GC56P

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Durwood121,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We will be delighted to help you even more. Please be aware that some Roku devices only have a "simple remote"—no power, no volume, no mute—that comes with them. The majority of Roku devices, including the most recent models such as the Roku Express 4k/4k+, can be updated to the "Voice Remote" and "Voice Remote Pro." (These two have the TV's power and volume controls.)

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos