Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku express stuck on Let's Get Started Screen

Jump to solution

John,

While I appreciate getting your reply, it really didn't provide any useful information.  Jharra's last post was to ask me for the serial number of my Roku unit.  I provided that above.  Your reply had nothing to do with that or anything else of value.  

Are you or anybody else able to provide anything resembling a meaningful answer as to why my Roku simply stopped working earlier this week?  

Side note, the Roku device is not even detected on my WiFi router.  And yes, I have restarted it.  Probably 2 dozen times.  And yes, I put in brand new batteries.  And yes, I unplugged it from the power source.  And yes, I changed out the USB power adaptor.  And yes, I changed HDMI ports on the TV.  And yes, I changed the 2.4Ghz channel from "auto" to Channel 1.  My router has been rebooted, my modem has been rebooted, I was on the phone with Comcast customer service for 30 mins today verifying that my internet signal is strong.  

Thanks for any assistance you or anyone else might be able to provide.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Durwood121,

We appreciate you keeping us updated!

We apologize for the inconvenience you have gone through. And we express our gratitude for your effort in resolving the issue. Can we also ask, does your Roku device see your WiFi but cannot connect, or does it not see it at all? Can it see any available networks (such as neighbors that you likely don't know the password to), or is the list completely empty? Have you tried (just for testing) a wired connection to see if it helps?

In this instance, we suggest connecting your Roku device to an alternative wireless connection, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are still experiencing the same issue.

If you see something different, please let us know.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Device type: Roku Express 4K

Serial number: X01600JGC56P

Added: Jul 31, 2022

0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Chel

I can't tell you if my roku device can see my wifi because it is stuck on the "Let's Get Started Screen."  That's why I named this thread, "Roku express stuck on Let's Get Started Screen.  

I'm also not sure how I would try a wired connection with a 4k express because there are only 2 ports on the receiver.  One for power and the other is an HDMI to connect to the TV.  

For what it's worth, when I open my wifi router app through my laptop to see the connected devices, the Roku doesn't even show up.  Pasting my device info again for your reference:

Device type: Roku Express 4K

Serial number: X01600JGC56P

Added: Jul 31, 2022

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Durwood121 

Since you "held the reset button in long enough to reboot", you did not simply reboot, but performed a Factory Reset (which is why you are now seeing the "Let's Get Started" screen).

Here are your possible culprits.

1. Your remote is bad. (unfortunately, you cannot use the Roku mobile app as a remote since you factory reset the device.  Must first set up device using a physical remote before being able to use the mobile app since both the device and the mobile app need to be on the same network in order to communicate.)

You can perform a test to see if at least the remote is sending IR commands.  Using your cellphone, turn on the camera mode.  Then point the Roku remote at the camera (like you are taking a picture) and press some buttons.  You should hopefully see colored flashes of light on your phone screen if the remote is working.

2. The power adapter or power cable supply is bad.  Try using a new micro-usb power cable and adapter.  The power adapter has to be at least 5volts, 1amp.  Not all power adapters are the same, so need to verify proper specs.  Additionally, try plugging the USB cable into the TV USB port if you have one. (some TV USB ports cannot provide the necessary power so this is not a definitive test, but maybe you will get lucky).

3. The device is bad.  If both the remote and the power supplies test fine, then the device may have failed, but the symptoms you described indicate either a remote or power supply issue.  If you definitively rule out both remote and power, the device is 2 years old and unfortunately out of warranty. (1 year free replacement).

----

As for your router not detecting the Express 4k currently, that is because you are at the Getting Started screen.  The device has not performed a Network Scan yet (network and internet check) so that is normal.  You will need to proceed through setup a bit (when able) before your Express 4k will detect your router and request connection.

A router will only inform you of "connected" devices, not devices "capable of connection".  You router will not show you the Express 4k until you are successfully connected to it.

As for the "wired" connection test suggested by @RokuJechealR , your Roku Express 4k is capable of using a wired connection if you attach an ethernet adapter into the USB power port.  https://support.roku.com/article/360058027813.

-----

I know you already tried, but I would try another power adapter and cable.  If no-go, give the remote a good whack and try it again.  I wouldn't recommend a new remote because for close to the same price, you could just buy a new Roku device that will come with a new remote.

The Roku Express 4k+ is currently on sale for $30 and comes with a Voice remote.  https://www.roku.com/products/players  Can get for same price at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Durwood121
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for that last reply.  It was the most thorough & informative one of the bunch.  The culprit was indeed the remote.  Rather than piss around with ordering a new one, I did buy a new 4k Express.  

Problem solved.  

0 Kudos