Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ghostlooker
Reel Rookie

Roku channel not on 50"Android TV series 4, WHY CAN'T I DOWNLOAD IT! HEEEELLLLP!!!!

Jump to solution

Just purchased a Android tv , my other3 Roku tv's have Roku channel of course, however, I've dwnlded every other app I use and the Roku channel isn't even listed, is there a riff between Android & Roku? What's UP!

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku channel not on 50"Android TV series 4, WHY CAN'T I DOWNLOAD IT! HEEEELLLLP!!!!

Jump to solution

Roku isn't Android - not even close.  You may be able to get The Roku Channel on an Android TV, but I'm not sure about that.  You can't get anything else  The Roku Channel is nothing like having a Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar

Re: Roku channel not on 50"Android TV series 4, WHY CAN'T I DOWNLOAD IT! HEEEELLLLP!!!!

Jump to solution

@Ghostlooker 

I believe @RokuDanny-R commented that the seperate Android app for the Roku Channel was discontinued to streamline content delivery.  I know that it is no longer available on my mobile device like it once was.  I now access the Roku Channel through the Roku Official Remote App when using my phone and away from the house.  I would imagine you could also download this Roku Official Remote App for your Android TV, in order to watch the Roku Channel. (When you launch app, next to the Home Button is a button that says "Roku Channel".  

Basically, appears no more dedicated Roku Channel Android app for download.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/What-happened-to-Roku-s-streaming-ap-for-Android/m-p/7...

Would appreciate an update if you can or cannot install the Roku Official Remote App on an Android TV as a workaround to watch the Roku Channel.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Ghostlooker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thankyou for precise answers , "I" couldn't figure how to dwnld roku mobile app to tv ,BUT THRU YOUR SUGGESTION I REALIZED I COULD DWNLD THE ROKU CHANNEL TO MY ANDROUD PHONE & CHROMECAST IT TO MY 50" ANDRIOD TV ,so thanks to you I got the Roku Channel, look, I own 3 Roku tvs I just wanted the roku CHANNEL on my 50". What is with android tv that they don't carry the Roku Channel? Some kinda feud between Android & Roku?

Thanks again, you are OUTSTANDING!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Ghostlooker 

I haven't heard or seen anything regarding any dispute.  I think Roku just consolidated their efforts into the Roku Mobile App.  In Android, known as the official Roku Remote App.  @RokuDanny-R referred to it as the Roku Utility App.  

As such, I really think it is more of consolidating the features into one app rather than having to support multiple apps with different levels of features.  I do miss the Android Roku Channel App though as it took me immediately to the Roku Channel rather than having to launch the Remote App and select the Roku Channel from there. (it is what it is though).

I don't have an Android TV, but you should be able to use/install a web browser like Puffin, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. and then just navigate to https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ to access both the Roku Channel and any subscriptions purchased through the Roku Channel. (Alternative method to casting).  Basically, just set as a bookmark and launch Channel.  Maybe even able to "create a shortcut" and place on the Android TV home screen.  A quick web search yielded some youtube video demonstrations so probably good place to start.

A lot of times I access the Roku Channel using the https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ link when I want to watch on a larger screen like computer/desktop, again, when away from my tvs.  You can really do this for a lot of the Channels on these different streaming platforms.  Many have an online presence where you can watch their content.

Additionally, you can also navigate to these streaming websites and simply cast their content, using either the RokuTV or your Chromecast/AndroidTV.

If I learn anything more definitive, will be sure to update this thread for you.

4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Jump to solution

Roku isn't Android - not even close.  You may be able to get The Roku Channel on an Android TV, but I'm not sure about that.  You can't get anything else  The Roku Channel is nothing like having a Roku device.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Ghostlooker 

I believe @RokuDanny-R commented that the seperate Android app for the Roku Channel was discontinued to streamline content delivery.  I know that it is no longer available on my mobile device like it once was.  I now access the Roku Channel through the Roku Official Remote App when using my phone and away from the house.  I would imagine you could also download this Roku Official Remote App for your Android TV, in order to watch the Roku Channel. (When you launch app, next to the Home Button is a button that says "Roku Channel".  

Basically, appears no more dedicated Roku Channel Android app for download.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/What-happened-to-Roku-s-streaming-ap-for-Android/m-p/7...

Would appreciate an update if you can or cannot install the Roku Official Remote App on an Android TV as a workaround to watch the Roku Channel.

Ghostlooker
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thankyou for precise answers , "I" couldn't figure how to dwnld roku mobile app to tv ,BUT THRU YOUR SUGGESTION I REALIZED I COULD DWNLD THE ROKU CHANNEL TO MY ANDROUD PHONE & CHROMECAST IT TO MY 50" ANDRIOD TV ,so thanks to you I got the Roku Channel, look, I own 3 Roku tvs I just wanted the roku CHANNEL on my 50". What is with android tv that they don't carry the Roku Channel? Some kinda feud between Android & Roku?

Thanks again, you are OUTSTANDING!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Ghostlooker 

I haven't heard or seen anything regarding any dispute.  I think Roku just consolidated their efforts into the Roku Mobile App.  In Android, known as the official Roku Remote App.  @RokuDanny-R referred to it as the Roku Utility App.  

As such, I really think it is more of consolidating the features into one app rather than having to support multiple apps with different levels of features.  I do miss the Android Roku Channel App though as it took me immediately to the Roku Channel rather than having to launch the Remote App and select the Roku Channel from there. (it is what it is though).

I don't have an Android TV, but you should be able to use/install a web browser like Puffin, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. and then just navigate to https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ to access both the Roku Channel and any subscriptions purchased through the Roku Channel. (Alternative method to casting).  Basically, just set as a bookmark and launch Channel.  Maybe even able to "create a shortcut" and place on the Android TV home screen.  A quick web search yielded some youtube video demonstrations so probably good place to start.

A lot of times I access the Roku Channel using the https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ link when I want to watch on a larger screen like computer/desktop, again, when away from my tvs.  You can really do this for a lot of the Channels on these different streaming platforms.  Many have an online presence where you can watch their content.

Additionally, you can also navigate to these streaming websites and simply cast their content, using either the RokuTV or your Chromecast/AndroidTV.

If I learn anything more definitive, will be sure to update this thread for you.