Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV setup without remote

I bought a 32 inch onn roku tv. I took it out of the box, plugged it in and the TV worked. The first screen I came to was the languages screen so that I could set it up. It has never been set up or put on wifi. It is brand new. I tried using the remote to set it up but it is not working. I tried the roku app but for that to work, the TV needs to be already set up on wifi. Tried the mobile Hotspot but since the TV was never on wifi, I can't make the link. What can I do? 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV setup without remote

A working remote is essential for initial setup of Roku TVs and devices.

As far as I know, the remotes supplied by the manufacturers of Roku TVs all control via direct line-of-sight infrared (IR) signals, and should just work when pointed at the TV.

Make sure you have fresh batteries inserted in the remote in the correct orientation.

Make sure nothing is obstructing the IR sensor on the front of the TV.

You can test whether the remote is putting out a signal by pointing it at a digital camera -- the camera in a phone or tablet will do.  Press some buttons on the remote.  If the remote is working you should see flashes on the camera  screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TV setup without remote

Try other batteries.

Take back to shop for replacement.

Buy a IR remote online: official Roku accessories, clone, or one of the oneforall branded ones that has learning mode (as these should have the roku etc. Codes). 

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos