Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sambou
Channel Surfer

Roku TV apps should be separate from box!

I have a Roku TV with apps on it. I later got a Roku Ultra and it goes to it when the TV menu launches. Great. It synched my apps to the new player. 

I decided to clean up the TV apps and remove those so that it doesn't count it as a device anymore.  I then go back to my new Ultra box and see that it also deleted all of those apps as well!  Now I have to set them all up again. Why would clearing my TV device affect the Ultra device?  How does that make sense and why isn't there a warning when you remove an app?

I keep finding these bad user experience decisions on Roku and it's like nobody cares about it.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV apps should be separate from box!

@sambou-

Your channel choices are attached to your Roku account, and any Roku linked to that account gets all those channels.  Add/remove on one, add/remove on all.

Had you linked your new Roku Ultra to a separate Roku account (i.e. to a different email address) the two would be separate, would be logged in separately, and could have separate channel lists.  If you now want to split one or the other off the present account and into a new account, do a Factory Reset on it.   A Factory Reset is initiated via Roku menu path Settings > System > Advanced system settings .

Following a Factory Reset you'll be setting the Roku up all over again from scratch, as though it were new right out of the box, including setting up your network connection and linking it to your existing or new Roku account. If linking to an existing Roku account, all your channel apps currently attached to that account will automatically be installed -- some of the ones requiring a login may require you to login anew.

Note that the subscriptions for any premium channels you subscribed to THROUGH ROKU will remain on the original Roku account and not carry over to the new Roku account.

Since it sounds like you'd like the majority of your streaming channels to reside on the Ultra, it would be less work to leave the Ultra alone and do the Factory Reset on the TV, adding only what few channels you want (if any) to the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.