Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aimee1

Roku Premiere doesn't recognize WiFi

We have a new Roku Premiere and an older Sony TV.

The Roku does not find our Wifi despite restarting everything multiple times and scanning again and again.

All of our other devices- laptops, phones, iPads, all recognize the Wifi and work without any problem.

The Roku is situated within a few feet of the router.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere doesn't recognize WiFi

Does it see any networks?  What's the model number displayed under Settings->System->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere doesn't recognize WiFi

@Aimee1-

There are a couple of network connection problems recently being reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku will allow the connection to be reestablished. Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the System restart option under either Settings > System or Settings > System > Power.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos