Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlishaS
Reel Rookie

Roku 4k stick problems wont pass continue with 1080p or get help

Hi I'm really stuck a with my roku 4k streaming stick on my Panasonic TV.

Set up went fine until I got this: "There's a problem setting the TV to a better picture quality. I get 2 options: "Continue with 1080p" or "get help". Neither works. The remote freezes here and doesn't allow me to select either option. I tried on another TV and it got a little further but again the remote froze. It's new out of the box with new batteries and remote works fine inputting WiFi details etc. 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4k stick problems wont pass continue with 1080p or get help

@AlishaS 

Try setting up the Roku device in 720p (do not choose Automatic or a higher resolution).  See if that gets you through the setup/activation.

If so, then perform a System Restart once everything seems finished and you are at the Roku Home Screen. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

After that, you can go to Settings/Display Type and try a higher resolution.  The Roku "4k" devices will not give you 4k resolution unless you have a 4k television.  Merely means that the Roku device supports resolutions "up to 4k". (ie. supports, 720p, 1080p, and 4k).

If still having issues, post back with the manufacturer and model number of the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
AlishaS
Reel Rookie

Thanks so much for the reply. So I don't even get to that option. I'm asked for language, I pick English, the WiFi details and then it goes straight to the 1080p part and freezes.

My TV is a Panasonic TX 49GX550B

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@AlishaS 

Ok, that is a 4k TV so you should be good to go with the higher resolutions.  However, Roku does have some issues sometimes getting through setup on some TVs.

If you have another TV available, try hooking up the Roku device to it and see if it proceeds through setup.  If it does, then go to Settings/Display Type and select 720p and then bring it back to your Panasonic 4k TV.

If you do not have another TV available, then perform a Factory Reset on the Roku device (press and hold the small Reset button for 30 or more seconds).  This time you should be presented with a TV resolution question after the Language and Wireless Conection screens.  Here is where you want to avoid the Auto Selection and manually select 720p.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried using your TV remote on that message?  I ask because sometimes when someone says they get a message and the roku remote is unresponsive, it is because the message is actually being displayed by the TV. So, the Roku doesn’t even know it’s there.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Yvondeveau

Same problem did anyone find a solution?

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Yvondeveau,

Warm greetings from the Roku Community!

We see that you're having the same issue with your Roku device set up and we'd like to help.

Could you tell us if the suggestion offered by @AvsGunnar helps? Or share with us more of this and we'll take a deeper look.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Yvondeveau,

Warm greetings from the Roku Community!

We see that you're having the same issue with your Roku device set up and we'd like to help.

Could you tell us if the suggestion offered by @AvsGunnar helps? Or share with us more of this and we'll take a deeper look.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos