Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlship

Roku 4k+ Streaming Stick will not pair with remote

I am setting up my Roku Streaming Stick (3810R) and TV after being in storage during some house construction. Roku was purchased in Mar 2020.

TV is working fine.  Roku remote can turn it on and off and adjust volume.

I attempted to connect using Roku Remote ios app; it couldn't find my Roku, and Google Home app didn't indicate that the Roku had connected to the network.

Roku does not respond to remote.  Attempted to pair, remote pairing light blinks, Roku does not respond.

Replaced batteries with freshly purchased ones.  I have tried to pair it.  Remote pairing light blinks, Roku does nothing.

I reset my Roku, same thing.

I factory reset my Roku, it now presents the pairing screen, but still does not respond to the remote.

I'm very frustrated.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
hlship

Re: Roku 4k+ Streaming Stick will not pair with remote

Note: when pairing, I walked over the TV and held the remote inches from the streaming stick.

The streaming stick's blue activity LED did flash occasionally, but it didn't appear related to pairing.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Are you using the USB cable with the "bump" in it that contains the Wi-Fi receiver?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
KCTexas
Reel Rookie

I have a similar issue.

My remote had been working but beginning today it would no longer control the volume.

I tried going through the setup process again but it did not work.

I then reset the streaming stick to the factory settings. 

Now when I try to configure stick I get the "Let's get started" screen and the pair remote pop up screen appears shortly there after.

I push the pair button and the light will blink for a short time and then go solid for a few seconds, but the pair remote pop up never goes away. 

BTW: I changed the batteries in the remote before I started this process.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @KCTexas,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. 

We want to perform a few steps to make sure we are providing the best service. Could you please perform the power cycle by unplugging your TV for about 2 minutes? This includes unplugging the HDMI cables from the TV, and the power supply. Then please remove the batteries from the remote. Plug it all back in and place the batteries in the remote once you see the ROKU letters bouncing if that resolves the issue.

Please try doing this in order and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KCTexas
Reel Rookie

Mary, Thank you for your reply. I previously had tried all these things. I also tried the streaming stick on a different TV. I came to the conclusion that either the remote was defective or the stick had a problem with its pairing software. I am currently in the process of getting a RMA since the stick is only 4 months old.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@KCTexas

Thanks for following up. 

We appreciate your effort in doing all the steps trying to resolve the issue with your Roku remote. We can see that you are already working on the request with one of our Support team. They will provide you with further details and we recommend continuing to work with them. 

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
SheriK66

I am having the same problem.  Brand new.  I have done all the suggestions with no success.  This is extremely frustrating.

IMG_2630.jpeg

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SheriK66,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble with the Roku remote and we can understand how that may be frustrating. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We would like to ask you to attempt to pair the Roku Remote to your Roku device using the below steps:

1. On your Roku Home screen, navigate to Settings > System > Power > System restart
  2. After your TV restarts and returns to the Home Screen, navigate to Settings > Remotes & Devices > Setup a new device
  3. Click "Remote" followed by "Continue"
  4. Locate the pairing button on the bottom of the back of the remote
  5. Press and hold the pairing button for at least 20 seconds
  6. The remote should now re-pair to your device and you will need to click ContinueAccept, and Continue to finish the process

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to set up your Roku voice remote | Official Roku Support

If your remote still does not pair or you have any questions, please keep us posted so we can assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bobbyd7

I have the same issue as 

I have the same issue as Sheri with new 4k stick and cant even get roku home screen to do what you suggest as remote will not pair so stuck on screen showing how to pair remote

0 Kudos