Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Navarino56

Replacing and older Roku

Jump to solution

Must I deactivate the old Roku on my account before activating the new one.  Or will the new one automatically over ride it.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Replacing and older Roku

Jump to solution

Neither.  You can have multiple Roku devices linked to a single Roku account, but you can unlink an inactive one if you wish via your account at my.roku.com.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @callie2,

Thanks for the inquiry,

I understand that you are trying to unlink your previous Roku device and set up your Roku account on a new Roku device, is that correct? We recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support

Once you successfully unlink your previous device, you may now activate your new Roku device to your Roku account.

For future reference, here's How to activate or link your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy

Jump to solution

Neither.  You can have multiple Roku devices linked to a single Roku account, but you can unlink an inactive one if you wish via your account at my.roku.com.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
OmiKaren

Jump to solution

So I also have an older unit that I am trying to reactivate to a new one I just got. Was on with Chat for over an hour and in the end he told me to deactivate the older account. I did but cannot figure out how to add it to my new account. There is no link feature that I see....please help!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You'll have to do a factory reset of the old Roku to switch it to new account. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Susie2

Jump to solution

Do I completely remove the old device from tv and then sign into my account after plugging in the new device?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@Susie2 

No, to do a factory reset it has to be powered, keeping it connected to the tv won't harm it. You either go through the settings to factory reset, you look for button or pinhole on the outside of the Roku itself, depress either for more than 30 seconds while it's powered on. To go through the settings:

settings> system> advanced system settings> Factory reset> follow prompts

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
callie2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I would like to deactive my older Roku for a newer model. How do I do this?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @callie2,

Thanks for the inquiry,

I understand that you are trying to unlink your previous Roku device and set up your Roku account on a new Roku device, is that correct? We recommend trying to perform a factory reset on your device and link it to your new account. For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support

Once you successfully unlink your previous device, you may now activate your new Roku device to your Roku account.

For future reference, here's How to activate or link your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know in case you've still got any questions.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@callie2 You can have two or more Roku devices linked to the same account.  I would set up the new device first using the directions that came with the device.  This will copy all of your apps from your old device to the new device.  After you have the new device working, if you want to remove the old Roku from your account, on the old device go to settings, system, advanced system settings, factory reset.  This will unlink the device from your account and remove all of your information from just this device.   I hope this helps.  I have five Roku devices linked to the same account so if you would like to use the old device as a backup or on another TV that will work fine assuming the old device is still working.

0 Kudos