Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Runlauf
Channel Surfer

Recommended Network Found TV page is error prone and useless

Recommended Network Found now appears (streaming stick plus) whenever I check connection speed, which for me is fairly often. But it recommends a merely GOOD 5.0 GHZ connection which my TV cannot use, instead of an EXCELLENT 2.4 GHZ connection that I want to use and have always used. Can this new (to me) feature be bypassed via a setting, because it probably cannot be made smart enough to be useful? PLEASE?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Recommended Network Found TV page is error prone and useless

There's no requirement for you to use the recommended network, and once you connect to your desired network it stays there. I've never seen a Roku with any pop up message suggesting I change the WiFi network I'm using. The Roku would have no way of knowing if the other network is even available for your use (it might be a neighbor), so it really can't make an accurate suggestion for that.

One reason it might be recommending the 5 GHz radio, despite it reporting a lower signal level, is that the 5 GHz band is less crowded, and even with a lower signal level it can stream at a higher and likely more reliable speed. In tests with my Ultra 4800, which is within five feet of my access point, I get close to double the speed on 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.