Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Problems getting a 2007 Toshiba to recognize the presence of a Roku 4+

Jump to solution

I'm trying to connect a Roku 4+ to a 2007 Toshiba.  It's got 3 HDMI ports and I've tried them all, but the TV does not recognize that there is a device in the HDMI port.  The Roku blinks a blue light (twice fast, and then a short pause), but the TV will not allow me to select that HDMI port.  

I plugged the Roku into another TV in the house that already has a Roku, and the TV recognized the presence of the additional Roku and when to the set up screen.  But nothing on the TV that I want to use this on.  The Roku is plugged into the wall using the recommended connection.  

Any suggestions?   Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Re: Problems getting a 2007 Toshiba to recognize the presence of a Roku Express 4K+

Jump to solution

Avs:  You the man (or woman)!  The unplugging and turning it on with just the Roku plugged in worked like a charm.  Everything is up and running perfectly!   Thanks. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problems getting a 2007 Toshiba to recognize the presence of a Roku Express 4K+

Jump to solution

First, there's no such player as a Roku 4+. (EDIT: clarified to be the Express 4K+) There was a Roku 4 (model 4400) which was released in 2015. That player is no longer officially supported by Roku. The Roku 4 was the only device that used a specific chip that was never used again. I still have one in use by my granddaughter, but it's really not capable of running some of the latest channels/apps. 

Still, if a Roku 4 is functioning correctly it should work on almost any HDMI equipped display. I say "almost" because there are some early HDTVs that have limited HDMI support. It's possible your TV is one of those early sets with those limits. By limits, I mean that the HDMI port on the TV will only accept a 1080i or 575p signal. Your Roku player (as well as any other model Roku) will not output either of those signals. My guess is you have one of those early HDTVs and if so you will not be able to connect any Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, or other streaming player. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Re: Problems getting a 2007 Toshiba to recognize the presence of a Roku 4+

Jump to solution

If you'll forgive the incomplete product description (Roku Express 4K+), I'll thank you for the quick response.  It's looking like there isn't anything I can do with this TV.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Thanks for that clarification. I've edited the subject line on my post to reflect that.

What I stated still holds true for the Express 4K+ (an excellent player by the way, as I have one of those as well). Roku devices support 720p, 1080p, and the 4K devices support 2160p. The age of your TV makes it possible that it doesn't support those resolutions on the HDMI port, but without knowing the exact model number we're only guessing here. 

Why some of those early HDTVs didn't support 1080p is a mystery, but my guess would be to keep the costs down. The early Blu Ray players had 1080i support, and those older sets could also accept a component video input (red/green/blue cables) which could be HD as well. 1080p was not common in the earliest sets, although some could do 720p on the HDMI port. It's hit or miss with so many of those early TVs. Again, we might be able to find the specs online if we knew the exact model number of the TV.

Dan

0 Kudos
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately the TV is mounted on a wall bracket and the model number is behind the bracket.  And any manuals that came with the TV seem to be long gone.   It seems like, however, that if you plug it in, and the TV doesn't recognize the presence of a new device, that there is a built in problem.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

You might be able to find the model number in a menu somewhere. I haven't owned a Toshiba TV in more than 20 years, so no idea what their on-screen menus show now.

Dan

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jorlofsky 

Some early Toshiba TVs came equipped with a MHL port. (This is a kind of HDMI port that accepts HDMI cables and connections, but requires the device to be MHL capable/compatible).  Can you see if the HDMI port you are plugging into says MHL on it?

If you are somehiow able to get the model number of this TV, can look to see if your TV is so equipped and may be contributing to issue. (Most of these TVs so equipped usually placed the MHL port on the side and the standard HDMI connections on rear of TV).

[Edit].  I think something may be wrong with this thread (or was on my end).  After posting, two more of your replies appeared, indicating that you have tried all the HDMI ports, so can probably disregard the above posting.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks Avs, but I can see that the ports say HDML and I tried them all.  I tried all the setup menus on the TV and couldn't find a model number.  The store I bought it from opens tomorrow and I'll check if they have records going back that far.  

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@jorlofsky 

In the meantime, while tracking down the model number, disconnect all the HDMI cables from the Toshiba, unplug TV from wall power, and press/hold power button on the TV for 30+ seconds.  Leave TV unplugged for about 10 minutes, then plug it back in.  Attach only one HDMI device, and power on both the TV and the HDMI device.

If this does not work, go into the Toshiba Settings (with Toshiba remote) and look for a Factory Reset for the TV.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jorlofsky
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Avs:  You the man (or woman)!  The unplugging and turning it on with just the Roku plugged in worked like a charm.  Everything is up and running perfectly!   Thanks.