Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dstarman21
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem setting up using HDMI to component adapter

I tried 2 different brand converters like that one in the link you sent and all i saw was a blue screen saying check signal. I currently have to use input on my Mitsubishi ws65813 diamond series tv. But thats only projects 480. Has any one had this issue?  The problem with my roku being connected to Input is mostly color issues when viewing certain scenes. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

This TV appears to be from 2004, when HD was still pretty confusing and incompatibilities were still common.

I found this spec sheet for the TV that says: “Component Video Inputs 2 (480i/480p/1080i)”. Rokus output HD at 4K (2160p), 1080p and 720p – none of which are listed on that sheet.  It seems like someone could make a device that takes 1080p in and produces an interlaced (1080i) signal but I don’t know if anyone does.

I notice the device linked on page 2 says: “Some traditional CTR display not work after connected witch this Converter This mainly caused by these Displays only supporting 480i and 576i YPbPr interlaced resolution. Therefore, we suggest to choose LCD Display or those can support YPbPr CRT Displays.” And “This HDMI to 5RCA adapter does not have the downscaler function. If your component video device does not support 720P or 1080P, then you need to adjust the input HDMI signal to 480 or 576 resolution. As some component video device may be old,only support 480 or 576 resolution formats. And this product is BYPASS, which means that the output signal depends on the input signal.”  So, yeah, for that one, and anything similar, 480p seems to be as good as it gets.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Strega2
Roku Guru

By the way, on further reflection, I do know that devices that can convert from just about any resolution/standard to any other do exist. The last time I was shopping for serious home theater stuff, they were quite expensive.  But that was years ago, so they might be cheap now.

Dstarman21
Channel Surfer

So from what i understood of what you said, i would need a hdmi to component converter and that converter’s spec sheet should say that it takes in (1080p Hdmi) and converts it to (1080i analog component.)   Does not make sense?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

It’s tricky shopping for these devices.  For example, I found this one which says it is a scaler converter and says “Component resolutions output: 480i(60Hz), 576i(50Hz), 480p(60Hz), 576p(50hz), 720p(50/60Hz), 1080i/p(50/60Hz). Choose the best output resolution by the resolution switch button.”

Wow!  Sounds incredible and it’s super-cheap!  (Real-time scaling of video used to cost thousands of dollars.)

But I type 1080i into the Q&A section and find two answers that say it can convert to 1080i and one that says it can’t. So… might work!  😀

Dstarman21
Channel Surfer

I think thats the exact one i bought some time ago. However i don't remember if i tried toggling the resolution switch on the converter. I’ll try it again and let u know if it works.        

0 Kudos
Dstarman21
Channel Surfer

I just tried it again, the one in the link u sent, that i had purchased years ago. I got it to work, i did have to hit the resolution button like 7 times or so, until i saw 1080i. 

It works, thank you for sending the link. My guess is that i had tried hitting that button before but after a few toggles i probably figured that it wasn't going to work. When i went to the link u sent i looked at it more carefully and saw that the converter is capable of many resolutions, so again after about the 7th toggle it showed 1080i. Just make sure to use your tv remote set to tv and hit the info button to show display resolution that is currently being displayed. 

TOUCHDOWN !

0 Kudos