Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichEcommunity
Channel Surfer

Pre-Sales contact or support? I can't find any. Too many questions for a post

Trying to decipher all the different models of roku devices for an older, non-smart TV but with hdmi ports.

But I can't find a chat or anything to help with my questions.  Usually answers to questions bring up other questions I had no idea to ask so not sure this is even the forum to post this request.

Did I miss somewhere to actually contact a sales person?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Pre-Sales contact or support? I can't find any. Too many questions for a post

You can compare players here:

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Or if you want to get a bit more techy, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pre-Sales contact or support? I can't find any. Too many questions for a post

@RichEcommunity, contacting a real human from Roku is darn near impossible.  You should know that going in.  In addition, the cheapest models (the "Express" models) don't qualify for agent support even after purchase.

All that being said, this is probably the best place to ask any pre-sale questions you have.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RichEcommunity 

As long as your TV has an available HDMI port, any of the current models will be compatible with your set.  I'd suggest doing some future proofing by getting a Roku model that has 4K support, even if you currently do not have a 4K set.  They will work fine with a 720 or 1080 HD TV as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RichEcommunity
Channel Surfer

Thanks again, but whether it'll work with my set isn't the issue, it's future proofing as much as possible for app/OS updates that no longer will work with the devices.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

On the subject of future proofing: Over decades of using tech products, I see at least two strategies for this:

1) Buy the best you can in the hopes that it stays usable the longest.

2) Buy the cheapest under the assumption that they’ll all soon be obsolete anyway.

(And 1.5 is simply anywhere in between based on the cheapest possibly not having all the gizmos you want.)

I don’t know that any strategy can be proven more correct.  A few things that make this easy is that in the world of Roku:  Cheap ones, and expensive ones are all pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.  In addition, upgrading to a new Roku is much easier than a new PC or a new physical media format.  So, I think you can use any strategy and be happy.

RichEcommunity
Channel Surfer

Good thoughts and summary, thanks. But as a computer pro, upgrading to a new computer isn't hard for me... 🙂 Then again, my last computer/build for myself was built with future needs anticipated so I still use it just fine, even 7? years later. It's also why I generally recomend folks NOT buy the cheapest computer they can find, but spend a little more to avoid the hassles of upgrading. Oops, sorry, I diverged... 🙂
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Well when upgrading PCs I often run into apps that don't run on current OSs, data/format incompatibilities etc.  Of course, I've been using personal computers since the 1970s, with Altair DOS and still have 8" floppies, 5.25" floppies, ... the other day I was cleaning some stuff out and found a ZIP disk.  I've also had QIC tapes, and Altair-format cassettes,  North Start format disks, CP/M, ISIS, iRMX etc. 

I just had a flashback to 1976 when someone wanted me to port his paper tapes onto a newer medium and I had no paper tape reader. Smiley Happy

Even today, I'm occasionally tempted by macbooks, but held back by finding cross-platform development tools that I like.

On the other hand, when I get a new Roku, I just plug it in, activate it, and log into some stuff and it's good to go.

0 Kudos