Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nami

Newly purchased roku device

Just bought a new roku express. I’m using an older tv that has had roku before ( but recently moved and can’t find it). The tv is 720 p which the roku express says it supports. When I plugged it in, it shows the roku logo but when it goes to the next window it’s just shows a purple background with no words or menus. Then it goes back to the logo screen.  Nothing I’ve done helps. Turned on and off repeatedly. Unplugged cables, etc. I also deactivated all my old devices. Is it something I’m not doing right or is this a defective roku and I should return and get a new one. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Newly purchased roku device

@Nami

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or it is plugged into a wall outlet? Have your tried performing a factory reset on the Roku device to see if that helps?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: Factory reset your Roku

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Newly purchased roku device

@Nami-

I'm guessing the Roku is sending a signal in a resolution which the "problem" TV does not support. If that's the case, you should see the normal "bouncing letters" Roku startup screen, but lose your picture when it tries to load the home screen.

Do you have access to another tv on which you could try to set up your new Express?  If it comes up okay there, go into Roku menu path Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the 720p resolution setting instead of a different resolution or the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option to save this setting to the Roku. Now move the Roku back to the "problem" set and see if it works for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos