Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

New device will not stay powered on

I just installed a new Premier streaming device. When I plug in the device it powers on, I get the ROKU banner, then the device powers off. I tried the USB port on my TV as well as a wall outlet. I’m using it on a Samsung Smart TV

when installing I plugged in the HDMI cable then the power cable. The device powered up and I got to the WiFi screen. Successfully connected to WiFi and the device downloaded a software update. Went through the TV connection setup and the problem started 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New device will not stay powered on

Hi @frmrdepchief,

Thanks for making your first post here in the Roku Community!

Do you have another TV that you can try to connect with and see if there are any differences?

If the issue persists, please share with us the device serial number so that we can take a look at it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

Serial # JF528M233443.  Model # 3920X  bottom of the box by bar code has 3920R)

After the sw update it booted as far as apthe bouncing letters but it doesn’t it doesn’t do anything until it powers itself off. It I can’t get to another screen to reconnect to WiFi. 

I do have another TV, but it is a real pain to get to the plugs

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @frmrdepchief,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the Roku Premiere. Please make sure that all the cables are properly plugged in and firmly attached. If the problem still persists, please try to factory reset your Roku Premiere by locating at the back or bottom of your device the physical reset button or pinhole, then pressing and holding it for 10 seconds.

You may also check out this support article here on how to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

I did the factory reset 3 times this morning. But I had read somewhere press and hold the reset button for at least 30 seconds. During that time the device powered on then powered off again about 20 seconds later. 
I’ll read through the links you sent earlier tomorrow. I won’t be able to try anything until later in the day or even Friday morning. 

0 Kudos
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

After 2 attempts to factory reset (both failed). I press the reset button, the device turns on and I get the bouncing Roku screen. I’m assuming this is some sort of Home Screen. But I cannot do anything. None of the buttons on the remote do anything. The remote works because my home theater system detects it. So I started from scratch

Following the connection guide on the TV, I plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI port 1 (2 & 3 used by my other devices). Then I plugged the other end of the cable into the Roku device. Again the bouncing letters but nothing else. 

I think it’s time to reduce my frustration and return this thing. The only time I was able to do anything with was the first time I connected it. I connected the WiFi and it downloaded a software upgrade. It hasn’t worked since. Albeit no error messages, I think the update failed to load properly.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @frmrdepchief

Upon verifying the information on our end, this device is no longer manufactured. In addition, we would recommend returning it and a recent model of Roku streaming device would be advised that is supported by updated channels, features, and Roku OS.

We hope for your understanding regarding this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

Gee. Thank you Amazon for selling outdated equipment for full price. 

0 Kudos
frmrdepchief
Binge Watcher

Happy Thanksgiving. I am posting just to close this issue out.
The issue turned out to be a bad HDMI port on the TV. I’m now using the device and learning how to do things. 
Thanks to the responses and assistance. 

0 Kudos