Roku setup

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updating issues

Jump to solution

@CodeButcher wrote:

@Guardian-Droid wrote:

Hi Danny R,

I'm a network administrator at a university, and we have had a handful individuals experience this issue. I have packet-captures showing that traffic is flowing between the Roku and the Firmware Update server successfully. I would like to troubleshoot this issue further to determine the root cause of this "reboot loop" despite the Roku's having full access to the the internet and the update server.

From my experience with the Roku Express, it's the cable or even the TV that causes the failure after restart.  What it's trying to do is verify the max Resolution if the TV, Be it 720p, 1080p or even 4K (2160p) as well as the maximum internet connection speed of the internet.  The cheap HDMI cable that comes with the Roku just cheap. Use a better HDMI cable. Good Luck!

Thanks, I'm going to definitely need it. It's driving our help desk crazy amongst the online learning they also support. Students are buying brand new Roku devices from the store, and whatever reason, some of them this enter this setup loop when connect to our network first time, download firmware, reboot, and back to be language settings. The workaround is they connect to a hot spot, perform a firmware update, and this time they can complete the setup, move back to our network, and they're golden. The "out of the box" ones seem to be running Roku 7, then after the update, Roku 9.X. And I have no explanation as to why one network works and another doesn't (initially) beyond some bizarre defect in the Roku 7 code based on the packet captures I've gathered, it fetches the update.

0 Kudos
Diamondeewv
Level 8

Re: Infinite restart loop after downloading updates

Jump to solution

My issue is that after aproximately 5-6 updates, the last update will not finish and keeps rebooting to where roku is displayed. Then when it does work in middle of watching a movie or searching for a movie or going through the menu it stops and goes back to roku again on screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Infinite restart loop after downloading updates

Jump to solution

@Diamondeewv 

Thanks for the information.

In regards to your device not able to finish the update:
We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating the device and finish setting up your Roku. Then once your device is setup, try switching back to your home wireless network.

In regards to your device going back to the Home screen in the middle of/search for a movie:
How are you powering the device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapters? Is this issue happening on specific channels or is this happening on all channels on your Roku device?

With more information we will be able to assist you further. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Updating Help

Jump to solution

@smholl21 

Thanks for the post.

I'd recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating and set up your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your wireless network.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JacobE
Level 7

Roku express software update not working

Jump to solution

I bought a new Roku express from Walmart. After I selected the language and connected to the WiFi it started a software update. After the system restarts, it eventually brings me back to the select a language screen, makes me connect to WiFi, then starts the same software update from before. Then the loop keeps on repeating and I can’t move past the initial setup.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express software update not working

Jump to solution

Seems to happen a lot with various Rokus.  What works for some is to use a phone as a hotspot and connect to that just to get past the initial update.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
JacobE
Level 7

Re: Roku express software update not working

Jump to solution

That didn’t work either

0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Guardian-Droid wrote:

Thanks, I'm going to definitely need it. It's driving our help desk crazy amongst the online learning they also support. Students are buying brand new Roku devices from the store, and whatever reason, some of them this enter this setup loop when connect to our network first time, download firmware, reboot, and back to be language settings. The workaround is they connect to a hot spot, perform a firmware update, and this time they can complete the setup, move back to our network, and they're golden. The "out of the box" ones seem to be running Roku 7, then after the update, Roku 9.X. And I have no explanation as to why one network works and another doesn't (initially) beyond some bizarre defect in the Roku 7 code based on the packet captures I've gathered, it fetches the update.

It's started happening earlier this year if the dates on the threads are correct.  I was going to suggest, you set up a station for those who want to setup their Roku's for the initial setup.  The major factors to have a successful setup is to have a strong WiFi signal, and a good HDMI cable.  One other thing, that may contribute to a bad setup is the Brand of TV.  I can't get my Vizio TV's to complete the initial setup, but my Sony's work fine.

BTW, have you seen any of the students buy an Onn TV with builtin Roku? They are about $110 at Walmart and I'm wondering if they are having similar issues.

0 Kudos
Alexandria56
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku has been driving me insane! I tried resetting it, plugging it directly into the wall, new hdmi cord, mobile hotspot, trying different WiFi networks, the reset method with the click of the buttons, reset method with the batteries taken out the remote, pressing the reset button for 30 seconds. Nothing has worked! I’m so frustrated because I just decided to try something new other than chrome cast. #ErrorCode003

0 Kudos
CodeButcher
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Alexandria56 wrote:

My roku has been driving me insane! I tried resetting it, plugging it directly into the wall, new hdmi cord, mobile hotspot, trying different WiFi networks, the reset method with the click of the buttons, reset method with the batteries taken out the remote, pressing the reset button for 30 seconds. Nothing has worked! I’m so frustrated because I just decided to try something new other than chrome cast. #ErrorCode003

What Brand TV do you have?

0 Kudos