Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GUNNERRUE

Multiple tvs - do i need to buy a separate roku streaming players for each tv?

Jump to solution

we have multiple tvs :

a/.  do i need to buy a separate roku streaming players for each tv?

b/. once i sign up for some paid channels under my account: can i watch them on any of my tv's with the roku streaming device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: MULTIPLE TVS - DO I NEED TO BUY A SEPARATE ROKU STREAMING PLAYERS FOR EACH TV?

Jump to solution

@GUNNERRUE 

A. You can either buy a Roku device for each TV (preferred method), or move the one Roku device between the different TVs. (just plug into the HDMI port and provide power).  Roku devices are portable once setup/activated.

B. As long as you "link" all the Roku devices to the same Roku account (use same email address when you setup/activate the device), you can watch a paid subscription on any of the Roku devices.  (this is how it should be done if subscribing to channels "through" Roku).  Alternatively, you may also subscribe directly with the subscription provider (if an option), and that would allow you to watch on any Roku device, linked or not linked. (as well as watching on non-Roku devices if needed and supported by the subscription).

I think most users prefer to link their devices to the same account, and then subscribe directly with the subscription provider.  I haven't had any issues when subscribing through Roku, but some users reportedly have experienced content issues and payment issues/conflicts being resolved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar

Re: MULTIPLE TVS - DO I NEED TO BUY A SEPARATE ROKU STREAMING PLAYERS FOR EACH TV?

Jump to solution

@GUNNERRUE 

A. You can either buy a Roku device for each TV (preferred method), or move the one Roku device between the different TVs. (just plug into the HDMI port and provide power).  Roku devices are portable once setup/activated.

B. As long as you "link" all the Roku devices to the same Roku account (use same email address when you setup/activate the device), you can watch a paid subscription on any of the Roku devices.  (this is how it should be done if subscribing to channels "through" Roku).  Alternatively, you may also subscribe directly with the subscription provider (if an option), and that would allow you to watch on any Roku device, linked or not linked. (as well as watching on non-Roku devices if needed and supported by the subscription).

I think most users prefer to link their devices to the same account, and then subscribe directly with the subscription provider.  I haven't had any issues when subscribing through Roku, but some users reportedly have experienced content issues and payment issues/conflicts being resolved.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RAZ-TJZ

Jump to solution

Can you watch all linked TV's at the same time? 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Each device is separate. Roku doesn't control how many are used at the same time. Some services may limit the number of simultaneous feeds on that service.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

There is a way to use a single Roku device and view the content on multiple TVs, but then you have to watch the same thing on every TV. You would need to create a video distribution network in your home, and that's likely far more work than you'd care to do, not to mention the cost of equipment necessary. It would be cheaper to simply put a Roku on each TV.

By using separate Roku players on each TV, you have the ability to watch different content on each TV at the same time. As others have mentioned, you might run into restrictions from the provider about how many TV streams can be used at the same time. For example, Netflix allows a different number of simultaneous streams depending on which plan you have signed up for. Something like YouTube has no restrictions. 

Your second question was answered, but I want to reiterate it. Yes, you can watch any of your subscriptions on any/all of your Roku devices. But be aware that if you subscribe to a service through Roku, you can only watch those subscriptions on a Roku device that is linked to your specific Roku user account. You cannot watch that subscribed service on a non-Roku device, or a Roku device that is linked to a different user account. If you subscribe directly with the provider (such as Hulu for example), you can use your login credentials on any device, regardless of brand or user account. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Dar3

Jump to solution

My Roku remote control works on one tv with Roku device but not on other tv with Roku device

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Dar3 wrote:

My Roku remote control works on one tv with Roku device but not on other tv with Roku device

You didn't provide any information that is needed. What model Roku player do you have that works, and what brand of TV is it installed on? What Roku player remote isn't working, and what is that TV brand?

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.