Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

Manually Selected Display Type keeps reverting to Automatic

I have a Roku Ultra, Model Number 4800X, Software Version 12.0.0:4184. It is connected to a Sony 700E 4k/HDR TV with Enhanced selected on the HDMI settings for the TV. Ethernet connected to the network.

Like others here, I have an issue with the Akorn app crashing back to the home page after a few seconds of playing. I found the solution to change the Display Type from the default Automatic Display Type to a manual one. In my case, if I select 4k/HDR, I can then watch Akorn without a problem.

However, the next time I go to watch, I see a message from the Roku that the Display Type has been changed to Automatic, or sometimes it shows as Automatic even without that message. The result is that Akorn again crashes, and I have to manually change the Display Type to 4k/HDR.

This is ridiculous - first, having to do this in the first place, since Akorn and Roku should get their heads together and fix this bug. And second, Roku is directly responsible for the bug where it overrides my manually selected Display Type, resetting it to Automatic, which then causes the Akorn bug to recur.

Is there any chance that Roku will fix this, or am I just going to have to manually change this every time we want to watch Akorn on our Roku??

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Manually Selected Display Type keeps reverting to Automatic

Try disabling "power saving" under Settings->System->About if it's enabled.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply.

That is a reasonable thought - I checked it, and it is already disabled, so that's not it.

I did just do a full power cycle (disconnecting it from power for about 15 seconds and then plugging it back in). I have found this to eliminate buggy behavior in other electronic devices I have in my main home theater. Will report back once I determine if this made any difference.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

Well a full power cycle didn't fix it either. I changed the Display Setting to Manual...4k/HDR, and perhaps an hour later, was greeted with this Roku message:"

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/28zwqyobg4312qn1y6p98/2023-07-12-07.43.54.jpg?rlkey=qf7sycravmhn5rllx...

"Your display type has been reset to automatic."

Is there a way to directly contact someone at Roku who is technical enough to understand and do something about this? Not just rehash a list of troubleshooting steps.

And is there any way to avoid having to go through the captcha verification each and every time I have to log in??

0 Kudos
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

I did start a chat with Roku support, and not surprisingly they had no answer. They are escalating it to 'back end' team, supposed to get back to me in 24 to 48 hours.

We'll see...

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@DLCPhoto-

See if this thread on Reddit helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/14wtpp8/comment/jro9eyw/

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

Very interesting @makaiguy ! I accessed the secret menu as described there, disabled automatic recovery, and will see what happens now!

Many thanks for this, and hopefully it will work!

On the other question - is there any way to avoid having to repeatedly go through a capcha verification every dang time I want to log in??

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@DLCPhoto wrote:

On the other question - is there any way to avoid having to repeatedly go through a capcha verification every dang time I want to log in??

I only wish.  It has become a major PITA of late.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DLCPhoto
Binge Watcher

Well that's disappointing, though hardly surprising! 😡

But the first test of the secret menu solution seems to be working. The TV was off for a while, enough that it would have reverted. And when I checked, it was still on my manual setting.

Hopefully that's at least one problem solved!

Appreciate the pointer to that other post!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@DLCPhoto wrote:

I have found that the captcha only appears when first using a new browser, or a different computer. After a number of logins (no idea how many it took, but I'm certain more than a dozen or so), the captcha seems to be satisfied with that browser/computer and I seldom see it. Still pops up on occasion, but not on a constant basis. So the cookies must be tracking the number of times I've logged in with a specific browser on a specific computer. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos