Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Linking problems with my Rokus

I had to reset my Roku Ultra to factory settings. So when I restarted it and had to reconnect everything like Wi-Fi and loading channel apps it never gave me a link code. I should add that I have two Roku streaming sticks. So the thing is when I log onto my Roku account from my work PC and it shows only the two Roku streaming sticks. But when I log onto my Roku account on my home PC it only shows the Roku Ultra. How can that be? It's the same account! And there's no way for me to link the Ultra to the Streaming sticks like it used to be before I reset the Ultra. There should be a way to do it from the settings to link all Rokus that are on the same Wi-Fi together. You can see my screen shots of both.Roku account - home PCRoku account - home PCRoku account - work PCRoku account - work PC

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Linking problems with my Rokus

By "link", I assume you mean to link the device to your Roku user account. 

First, Roku no longer uses link codes. Instead it asks for your Roku user account email address. You receive an email with an activation link. One you click that link Roku activates the device on your account. Did any of that happen with yours?

I'm guessing that you did get that email, but for whatever reason the device didn't get activated correctly. That would explain why the screen shot doesn't show a device name. While you can edit the name, there should have been at least the Roku model listed. I think I would delete the device from the account, do a hard reset again, and start over with the activation.

As to the difference between the two web pages, it's likely a web page cache issue. Clearing your browser cache is the first thing to try.

"And there's no way for me to link the Ultra to the Streaming sticks like it used to be before I reset the Ultra. There should be a way to do it from the settings to link all Rokus that are on the same Wi-Fi together. "

Linking the devices to the user account has nothing to do with being on the same network. Linking is done solely at the Roku management servers, using the Roku user account email address. I don't know of any kind of device that can be linked to any sort of user account in the way you mention.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Well, what I mean by linking is that all the Rokus should have the same apps on them. Now only the two streaming sticks have the same apps as each other and the Ultra has to have them all reinstalled. Is there a way for me to get them so they all have the same apps? Thank you.

@atc98092 wrote:

By "link", I assume you mean to link the device to your Roku user account. 

First, Roku no longer uses link codes. Instead it asks for your Roku user account email address. You receive an email with an activation link. One you click that link Roku activates the device on your account. Did any of that happen with yours?

I'm guessing that you did get that email, but for whatever reason the device didn't get activated correctly. That would explain why the screen shot doesn't show a device name. While you can edit the name, there should have been at least the Roku model listed. I think I would delete the device from the account, do a hard reset again, and start over with the activation.

As to the difference between the two web pages, it's likely a web page cache issue. Clearing your browser cache is the first thing to try.

"And there's no way for me to link the Ultra to the Streaming sticks like it used to be before I reset the Ultra. There should be a way to do it from the settings to link all Rokus that are on the same Wi-Fi together. "

Linking the devices to the user account has nothing to do with being on the same network. Linking is done solely at the Roku management servers, using the Roku user account email address. I don't know of any kind of device that can be linked to any sort of user account in the way you mention.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MikeJC wrote:

Well, what I mean by linking is that all the Rokus should have the same apps on them. Now only the two streaming sticks have the same apps as each other and the Ultra has to have them all reinstalled. Is there a way for me to get them so they all have the same apps? Thank you.

That happens automatically when any device is activated to the same user account. If that didn't happen, there's something off about the account you linked the Ultra to. Go into the Settings/System/About screen and make sure the email address shown is identical. I'm suspicious you're going to see something different between the two, which means they aren't the same account. 

Dan

0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

I went to the Settings/System/About and saw that the Ultra has my Yahoo address on it and my Streaming Sticks have my Gmail address. When I restored my Ultra to the factory settings I had to use three email address until it finally sent me the Activation. It didn't work on my Gmail address which is the main address I use. It finally worked on the Yahoo address. So how do I change the Ultra Settings/System/About from the Yahoo address to the Gmail address?

Also I cleared out my caches, cookies, etc. So now my work and home PC show the two streaming sticks on my account and the Ultra does not show up.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MikeJC 

As @atc98092 said, if you use a different email address to activate a Roku device, it will be on a different Roku account. If you want all the devices on the same account, you must use the same email address.

That is absolute. There are no exceptions. That is how it is. No ifs, ands, or buts. Same email address.

If you have issues, and your solution is to use a different email address, that is the wrong solution.

You need to work the issue of not receiving an email for the proper address. From what I'm reading, you're wanting to use a Gmail account. Fine. You can have up to 20 devices tied to one email account, and you're will within that limit. So the question now becomes "why is that happening?"

So, do a factory reset on the mis-matched Roku device and try again. Enter the correct email address. If an email does not arrive, check the spam queue.

If nothing there, check All Mail, in case some filter is tagging it and archiving it.

If nothing there, check Trash, in case some filter is trashing it.

If nothing there, check your filters. In Gmail from the Web interface, Settings > See all settings > Filters and Blocked Addresses

If none of those resolve the issue, report back and one of the Roku moderators will likely help escalate the issue.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
atc98092

@MikeJC wrote:

So how do I change the Ultra Settings/System/About from the Yahoo address to the Gmail address?

Unfortunately, you can't. The only way to link a device to an account is through the initial setup. So you have to do a factory reset of the Ultra and start over. @DBDukes provided you with some advice about checking your spam folder for the activation email. But it has to be the same email address as the other devices IF you want them to be synchronized. 

Now, if you don't care about all the devices having their channels in sync with each other, there's nothing bad about using different accounts. In fact, if you want a channel on the Ultra that you don't want on the Stick players, separate accounts is the only way to do it.

There's only one drawback to having separate accounts, and that's if you have any streaming subscription through Roku. That subscription would only be available on devices linked to the account with the sub. If you don't subscribe to anything through Roku, but instead you subscribe directly with or otherwise have access to content through a 3rd party (I get HBO Max through my cellular account, for example), then it doesn't matter about having different Roku user accounts. 

Dan

MikeJC
Binge Watcher

I wasn't receiving any email at all in my Gmail when I was setting it up. I certainly would have checked my spam folder but there was nothing in that folder. So I'll have to try it all over again and hope it sends the link to my Gmail account. I sure hope it works this time around.

@atc98092 wrote:

@MikeJC wrote:

So how do I change the Ultra Settings/System/About from the Yahoo address to the Gmail address?

Unfortunately, you can't. The only way to link a device to an account is through the initial setup. So you have to do a factory reset of the Ultra and start over. @DBDukes provided you with some advice about checking your spam folder for the activation email. But it has to be the same email address as the other devices IF you want them to be synchronized. 

Now, if you don't care about all the devices having their channels in sync with each other, there's nothing bad about using different accounts. In fact, if you want a channel on the Ultra that you don't want on the Stick players, separate accounts is the only way to do it.

There's only one drawback to having separate accounts, and that's if you have any streaming subscription through Roku. That subscription would only be available on devices linked to the account with the sub. If you don't subscribe to anything through Roku, but instead you subscribe directly with or otherwise have access to content through a 3rd party (I get HBO Max through my cellular account, for example), then it doesn't matter about having different Roku user accounts. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Another gmail user said that his activation emails appeared nowhere he could find, but if he searched for them, they were there all along.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, my Roku account is using Gmail. The last devices I activated was my Ultra 4800 in Nov 2020, my Express 4K+  in May 2021 and my Stick 4K+ in Dec 2021. All three activated just fine using my Gmail account, so there's nothing specific about a Gmail account causing a problem. 

Dan

0 Kudos