Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way for my Roku to go directly to an app? Can it be programmed?

Is there a way for my Roku to go directly to an app? Can it be programmed?

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to profram my roku so when it starts or reboots, go automatically to a specific app. 

thanks in advance for your response

11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there a way for my Roku to go directly to an app? Can it be programmed?

That is not possible at this time. It has been requested, but so far nothing. The best I can suggest is getting the Voice Remote Pro, which has the user programmable action buttons that will open the channel of your choice.  Then you only have a single button press to open your desired channel.

The Ultra and Express 4K+ come with that remote, and it can be added to any Roku except maybe the basis Express. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

I  asked chatgpt and this is what I got... I wonder where it got it from. "Set as default"  does not even exist. 

Sure, here's how you can set up automatic launching of an app on your Roku device:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote to go to the home screen.

2. Scroll to the app you want to launch automatically and highlight it.

3. Press the Options (*) button on your remote to open the app options menu.

4. Select "Move channel" and move the app to the top of the list. This will ensure that the app is the first thing that appears when you turn on your Roku.

5. Press the Home button on your remote to return to the home screen.

6. Highlight the app again and press the Options (*) button.

7. Select "Set as default." This will make the app launch automatically when you turn on your Roku.

That's it! Now your Roku will automatically launch your chosen app every time you turn it on. If you ever want to change the default app or turn off automatic app launching, simply follow the same steps and select the appropriate options.

0 Kudos
atc98092

ChatGPT is capable of very realistic writing styles, and sometimes even has valid information. This isn't one of them. 😄

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NewB2RKU
Channel Surfer

I tried this but I don’t have the option to set as default. I have a 3810X Streaming Stick +

0 Kudos
renojim

@NewB2RKU, as was already mentioned, there is no (and never was) a "set as default" option.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TG1957

I was so excited this was going to work, as I want to go direct to YouTube TV.  But,  When I press the * (options) button, is quickly says 'loading channel information' but....there is not 'set as default' option....only My Rating, Move Channel, Remove Channel, Check for Updates, Give us Feedback, and Close.

Help!!!  What am I missing?

PS - Same experiences as "Newbie' below, but I do not see a response.  Roku, help us!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

@TG1957What am I missing?

What you are missing is that ChatGTP is not a reliable source of information. There is no "set as default" option. There never was a "set as default" option.

0 Kudos
TG1957

Oh, sorry.  I thought I was reading from sort of official Roku 'tips' brief/post....you are suggesting that ChatGTP formulated it's own work-through, not official, not accurate at all?  If so, helpful to know...I was duped it seemed.  Bummer.  Ok, but it DOES should you could do this shortcut using the Roku app on your phone?  Not sure that's for me, but I might try.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Denhow.

0 Kudos
T_Chazone

Sometimes chatgpt simply makes things up, like a dad does when he can't answer his 3 year old's question. This appears to be the case with this response.

0 Kudos